point-thread pointing to something that isnt a leak?

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by Fr0Z3nR, Sep 6, 2010.

1. Fr0Z3nR

aa Fr0Z3nR Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums

Positive Ratings:
    Hey there,

Alright, I'll admit it, I'm a noob.

****Newer issue***: When I go to compile a map, it will compile and play a previously saved version, so any changes i have made will not be there, which will explain my skybox issue. when testing/playing around with 3d skyboxes I saved a little test map, changed a few things around, and saved it again as something else. Now, when I went to reload the map after hammer crashed, the current and all previous versions were there and all overlayed with each other, so it was liked I fused 4 maps into one...

Help?

---Point-thread issue fixed----

Last edited: Sep 7, 2010
  2. AgeNt_

AgeNt_ L5: Dapper Member

Positive Ratings:
    for one, your skybox is inside a brush which is a no-no.

3. Grim Tuesday

aa Grim Tuesday

Positive Ratings:
    The place where it is going through a brush, is that a func_detail? You can't seal a map with func_details.

4. Draco18s

Draco18s L9: Fashionable Member

Positive Ratings:
    A bad area portal will sometimes "leak" through solid geometry. Only solution I've found is to delete it.

5. FaTony

FaTony Banned

Positive Ratings:
    He has invalid brush there. Reload hammer. Zoom out of the map and look for huge brushes. It can be caused by bad geometry.

6. Fr0Z3nR

Positive Ratings:
    Alright, yea it looks like they are all func_details... so how does one fix this? put some brushwork underneath? what?

7. Draco18s

Positive Ratings:
    Yup, you need a no-draw textured brush back there.

8. Fr0Z3nR

Positive Ratings:
    Alright, I did that, but now my skybox is glitching on half the map and the other half is fine. In fact, it works perfectly fine, except that it shows my map from below, not the skybox models that I have set up (12 in total if that helps). is this due to a leak or what? should I have surrounded the 1/16th model of map in something else that isn't tools/toolsskybox?

-I am currently searching for a tutorial/guide that is more detailed than the ones I have been coming across.

9. Draco18s

Positive Ratings:
    I've had that problem on occasion (second frame of the sequence). I forget what it is, exactly, that causes the problem, but essentially the 3D sky doesn't realize it's the 3D sky. Try wrapping a skybox-textured box around it, so it is fully contained by a 2D sky.

10. Fr0Z3nR

Positive Ratings:
    so i should have a 3d skybox texture surrounding my models and such, and you are suggesting that I surround that with a 2d skybox?

11. Draco18s

Positive Ratings:
    No, use the tools\toolsskybox texture for all of your sky.

12. Fr0Z3nR

Positive Ratings:
    I already have a skybox textured box around my small map, the sky_camera is ignoring the box around it and sees right through it...

Maybe I'm not understanding what your trying to say.

13. Draco18s

Positive Ratings:
    There's probably a leak somewhere.

14. Fr0Z3nR

Positive Ratings:
    and now I'm back to having a point thread point to where there is a leak i just filled.

15. Fr0Z3nR

Positive Ratings:
    New issue!

Something else came up and if someone can help me solve it, that would be great....

(just copied from first post, too lazy)
    ****Newer issue***: When I go to compile a map, it will compile and play a previously saved version, so any changes i have made will not be there, which will explain my skybox issue. when testing/playing around with 3d skyboxes I saved a little test map, changed a few things around, and saved it again as something else. Now, when I went to reload the map after hammer crashed, the current and all previous versions were there and all overlayed with each other, so it was liked I fused 4 maps into one...

I didn't want to spam with a new thread, so i modded this one.

16. Draco18s

Positive Ratings:
    That's because someone errored and there was no BSP to copy to your tf/maps folder. Check for leaks and other compile issues.

(Hit F9, uncheck everything except the first item, "build BSP" and run it, your error will be in that part of the compile*)

*YES! vrad and vvis can run even if there's no BSP to save to and will still chug through all of needed operations.