plr Trainwreck alpha

Discussion in 'Map Factory' started by r13, Aug 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. r13

r13 Train God

Positive Ratings:
    It's a payload race style map that is themed with a shipping center/train-yard feel to it. In fact, that's sort of why it get's its name of "trainwreck". The two courses wind around through a semi-maze of walls, cars and bridge piers. With 4 different trains barreling through the map, standing on the bridges isn't the most safest of places to be. It's definitely a bit different that a typical payload race map as I'm hoping that it plays more like an arena map, sort of arena payload.

Initial public release as alpha.

Additional info and contact info can be found here: http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=76279

Special thanks out to Rexy, whose Chairman model I completely abused beyond it's intended use.

2. tovilovan

tovilovan L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    I've got to say everything looks really messy, from the structures to the prop spam in the middle of the map. Also I can't say I like the idea of trying to encourage outright DM rather than fighting over the objective - those maps rarely play well (see 2fort). Can't say much more until I playd the map in multiplayer.

3. Caliostro

Caliostro L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    No offense, but from the screenshots alone it does seem like a trainwreck. Unnecessarily messy, which I'm guessing will also heavily affect performance...

Also I wouldn't recommend this level of detail for an alpha. If you need to change something, and you usually need to change things in alphas, you are very screwed.

That said, this is all from the screenshots, and I'll have to actually play it first before commenting on how it plays.

Goodluck though.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Lancey

aa Lancey Currently On: ?????

Positive Ratings:
    I suggest you read this:
    http://www.nodraw.net/2010/08/tf2-density-of-detailing/

I can't really tell where I'm supposed to be looking because of the density of details everywhere in the map.

So much for trying to avoid the pun.

5. Caliostro

Caliostro L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    ^ This. Detailing should be focused on the spots you want people to look at. Not "everywhere".

Avoid it!? I rushed it head on! Bad puns are the sauce of life.

6. Crash

aa Crash func_nerd

Positive Ratings:
  7. r13

r13 Train God

Positive Ratings:
    Damn, i did a few searches before I named mine. I do apologize. I had suspected that it might have been used and had tried to make sure.

i will retract mine.

It's been pulled offline. If a moderator could lock or delete this tread that would be awesome.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2010
  8. REEJ

REEJ L7: Fancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    on the bright side, it sure looks original

9. Ravidge

aa Ravidge Grand Vizier

Positive Ratings:
    Alright, if you say so. Locking.
    I can just as easily just change the thread name (and you can change the map name), PM me if you want the thread re-opened.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.