PLEASE HELP! Question regarding the block tool...

Spooky | trade.tf

L1: Registered
Jun 15, 2018
Okay so, this is going to be really hard to put into words so I'm sorry if I may be hard to understand.
So...I have this problem where in the first video I try and create a shape in the top right corner using the block tool and the shape retains the same length, width, and height down in the bottom left, and the same height in the bottom right. And what happens when I fill it in, it becomes a side-wall when I want to create a floor.
I'm trying to replicate what the dude in the 2nd video did and create a shape that forms a floor and not a side-wall, and I seriously don't know what I'm doing wrong. The first link is my video and the 2nd is the dude's video, I also left screenshots so you guys see what I mean. Please, I would love to create maps but honestly its these little things that are holding me back.
My Video --->
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SaOTrXIC4iU

His Video --->
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZwX-k8E2Ds&index=4&list=PL2KT0JL74Qff_c1WbqNi4K5yAmpWAUQlq&t=0s

Attachments

• hammer.png
    hammer.png
    1,007.5 KB · Views: 151
  • hammer2.png
    hammer2.png
    841.7 KB · Views: 157

DrSquishy

we've all had better times to die
aa
Feb 10, 2017
You seem to be drawing your block in the 2D side on view. Try doing the same thing in that bottom right viewport (the top down one)

DrSquishy

we've all had better times to die
aa
Feb 10, 2017
It just creates another side wall when I create a block in the bottom right viewport :/
You could try just resizing the block once created to make it a floor brush, using a player model for orientation purposee

Da Spud Lord

Occasionally I make maps
aa
Mar 23, 2017
look at the top right screen then move your curser to the top left of the screen there should be a text that will read front or side click on it and change it to top
This guy is correct. Your top right viewport somehow got changed from your top view to your front view:
upload_2018-7-2_13-38-51.png
Just change it back by selecting the circled button and change it to "2D Top (x/y)".