Playerclipping a train

hydragorgon

L1: Registered
Feb 20, 2011
I have a train that goes into a tunnel, based off the prefab by Spammish I want the roof of the train playable, only the front and sides use trigger_hurt. The train model gets caught on the entrance to the tunnel if somebody is on the roof of the train. This is because of detail on the models themselves.

Rather than simply extend the trigger_hurt further up, and therefore making the roofs unplayable, can I player_clip the top of the train to make them smooth? if so, how do I parent that entity to the train so it moves? I know I can parent triggers and stuff, but can I parent a player_clip or invisible texture?

thanks for reading my post

hydragorgon

tyler

aa
Sep 11, 2013
If I remember right you can just turn the playerclip brush into a func_brush entity and parent it that way.

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
Yea, you can turn player clips into func_brush's and they'll retain their functionality whilst having the capcity to be turned on/off and/or being parented. tc_hydro does this for its round gates.

Harry64

Oct 3, 2011
Why dont you just make the train model not solid and make a player clip brush around to the train?
Then bind the trigger hurt and the trainmodel to the train and you are done. Maybe you set the flag to is not blockable by player.

tyler

aa
Sep 11, 2013
just another idea. I have made last month a func_tanktrain with a brush. then I added a texture toolsinvisible. the train model is not solide and to the front of the train I parented the trigger_hurt.

ok you cant see damage on the train but come on. I think no one will look really close to a fast driving train.

but I am also interested in an maybe better way cause for my next map I need 2 trains.

Feuerreiben.gif

hydragorgon

Feb 20, 2011
Thanks for the advice everybody. I feel stupid cause I used to use a fun_brush on a goof elevator. You guys rock.

hydragorgon