pl_cranetop_b1 - a blast from the past

Cybris

L1: Registered
Mar 29, 2008
pl_cranetop - a blast from the past

*** Update: pl_cranetop_b8 has been released! Get it from fpsbanana. ***

A long time ago (in 1999) I created a TFC map called Cranetop. It was a very large Hunted map and I never was able to play it on a full server. I got some positive feedback, but soon TFC waned and many of us moved on. Until...

In 2007 a -=Great Game=- was released - TF2. When Goldrush was released I started working on a Cranetop successor - now it's here. It's called pl_cranetop.

Here is the map on FPS Banana:

http://www.fpsbanana.com/maps/65823

This is a three stage Payload map with a small twist: the payload is suspended from a crane and BLU must first capture the crane top. BLUE has three spawn exits in order not to get locked in, but the map gets progressively harder, especially during the second stage, which takes place in REDs underground bunker.

Here are some comparision screenshots:

There are numerous modifications from the original (which you can find here: http://www.fpsbanana.com/maps/65821). TF2 has no ladders and no Hunted game mode, and on top of that I had to decompile my old map because I'd lost the map file. So this is a complete reconstruction, brush for brush, and then twisted and stirred and modified for the TF2 style. Enjoy!

Last edited:

Apex_

L3: Member
Jan 23, 2008
I really dig the design of this map and the crane is a great touch, but I can't get past the cubemap problem. I'm not sure if it's only with HDR enabled or not, but everyone I've talked to has problems with missing cubemaps, including myself.

I wouldn't say there's no Hunted mode, with msleeper's very well done Sourcemod plugin. If the map gets enough attention I would love to see a version of it tailored toward Hunted to bolster the extremely scarce selection of maps for that mod.

Cybris

Mar 29, 2008
I really dig the design of this map and the crane is a great touch, but I can't get past the cubemap problem. I'm not sure if it's only with HDR enabled or not, but everyone I've talked to has problems with missing cubemaps, including myself.

OK, I uploaded the new and improved version. There are numerous bugfixes, and this time I uploaded the correct file WITH cubemaps (not the one in mapsrc/)...

A big thank you to all server admins who installed the b1 version; actually playing the map helped me find a lot of things to fix. Please install this new version so your players can enjoy the fixed map.

Thank you all for liking this map!

I wouldn't say there's no Hunted mode, with msleeper's very well done Sourcemod plugin. If the map gets enough attention I would love to see a version of it tailored toward Hunted to bolster the extremely scarce selection of maps for that mod.

I was under the impression that the plugin could automatically use payload maps. I haven't actually played this mod yet, but I'll give it a try.

flubber

L4: Comfortable Member
Nov 16, 2007
Yes :) going to test it tonight @ 24.

Apex_

L3: Member
Jan 23, 2008
I was under the impression that the plugin could automatically use payload maps. I haven't actually played this mod yet, but I'll give it a try.

Actually it does, I forgot about that since I never play Hunted on Goldrush or Badwater. I'll grab the new version and see how it runs in normal and Hunted mode later this evening.

Cybris

Mar 29, 2008
pl_cranetop_b4 has been released!
Download the latest version from fpsbanana

Enjoy!

The changelog:
-- Beta 4 --
Added a third stage
Added a mission briefing with text and screenshots
Added in-game instructions on crane operation via chalk boards
Lowered spawn times except on last CPs of the stages
Redesigned and enlarged back entrance room and back door to stage 2
Enlarged small steps in the entrance hall at CP 6
Enlarged small sewers at stage 2 RED spawn and added more signage
Enlarged RED spawn exit area on stage 1 and added some detail and a wall
Slightly moved stage 1 tracks so players can get between the cart and RED spawn
Added even more clips to doors, stairs and railings
Fixed getting stuck below the warehouse
Fixed dead end sewer pipes not being black
Fixed more occurences of getting stuck when being pushed by the payload
Changed some stairs to props
Made a number of optical changes

Dox

L8: Fancy Shmancy Member
Oct 26, 2007
OOOOH, Cranetop is a big one on the STNO server, cant wait to get this on there!

Cybris

Mar 29, 2008
Update: pl_cranetop_b6 has been released!

Changelog:

-- Beta 6 --
Rotated the rocket tower and shortened stage 3 track
Enlarged the fenced area in the volcano
Readded steps to the upper ramp in stage 3 rocket dome
Reconstructed the upper stage 3 right side room with more cover
Added a room and two small tunnels to stage 3, deleted dropdown vent
Added another CP to stage 3 - it's fake (8 is max), but works mostly like a real one
Added more cover to stage 3 volcano dome side entrances
Moved the BLU blackboard so that it actually gets read
Fixed a faulty one-way door and added "Dead end" signs in stage 3
Fixed getting stuck on the cart at the switch to the monorail
Fixed invisible stairs being solid in stage 2 sewers
Fixed faulty stairs in stage 1 wooden warehouse
Fixed a small spot from where you could jump over the RED spawn wall
Converted some func_details to displacements or world brushes to free entities

Dox

Oct 26, 2007
B6 observation (solo):
Right in the main area of blu spawn there are overlapping brushes on the ceiling.
A little thing, but its been there since B3 so I thought I might as well point it out.

B5 observation (on the server):
We have been having a little trouble getting to the third stage as well since blu has trouble winning stage 2.

Last edited:

Cybris

Mar 29, 2008
B6 observation (solo):
Right in the main area of blu spawn there are overlapping brushes on the ceiling.
A little thing, but its been there since B3 so I thought I might as well point it out.

Thanks, this will be fixed!

B5 observation (on the server):
We have been having a little trouble getting to the third stage as well since blu has trouble winning stage 2.

When I first released the map, people complained that it was too small and they finished both stages in 15 minutes :)

Yes, stage 2 has a big chokepoint that's easy to defend. But the area is quite small - a single übered demo can take out all defenses. Maybe I'll add another vent that leads directly to the last CP, so that attackers have even more possibilities. But I can't do much about the presense of the chokepoint itself, because the area cannot be enlarged. The only big thing one could reasonably do is move RED spawn further away.

Dox

Oct 26, 2007
The people on my server requested we roll back the map to b3. Once people finally got to the third stage they were not really happy with it. Too big and open being their main concerns.
I look forward to testing the latest versions but I don't think they be put on our rotation too quickly unless things change. :(

Cybris

Mar 29, 2008
The people on my server requested we roll back the map to b3. Once people finally got to the third stage they were not really happy with it. Too big and open being their main concerns.
I look forward to testing the latest versions but I don't think they be put on our rotation too quickly unless things change. :(

What changes would you suggest?

I don't think the last room is bigger (or noticably bigger) than any of the three Gravelpit "rooms". I think stage 3 makes scouts much more valuable, because they are fast, have a lot of maneuvering room and can jump from top to top of almost anything in the map.

Engineers really should build some teles and build bases in the side rooms, but the ways to the rocket room are not all that long. Demomen and sentries are still good at blocking the entrances. Heavies and Pyros are very good on stage 1 and 2, but on 3 they have to choose their battlegrounds more carefully. Snipers shine, of course, but there is enough large cover so that they are not overpowered.

I really wanted to make a map that accomodates all classes, and I think I have succeeded in that by varying the environment for all three stages. All stages have their own strategies, and as with all maps, it will take some time to discover all possible routes and strategies to approach the different environments.

MangyCarface

Mapper
aa
Feb 26, 2008
Cybris, I understand what you were attempting, detailwise, with your final stage. I too borrowed heavily from that bond movie in terms of detailing in my map spywinder. But make it your own-- your adaption is too literal, and it hurts the gameplay. Open can be okay, as it is in gravelpit. But open and cluttered, with little player flow control, results in bad gameplay. A lot of that open area is not worth getting to, and instead you see battles at the chokepoints until some Blu seep through-but due to the size and openness, blu has no chance, in terms of survivability, past their initial foray. Openness is usually a defensive advantage, as the attackers have goals to move towards, their direction is predictable; but as Red merely has to intercept the Blu, they have full use of the arena. Make the entire center circle unplayable, for starters. Have definite pathways-even gravelpit does, despite being open. Take pt B- a building directs players around it, with only two real entrances, guaranteeing predictable encounter spots. Hope this helps.

Cybris

Mar 29, 2008
*** Update: pl_cranetop_b7 has been released! Get it from fpsbanana. ***

-- Beta 7 --
Fixed grayscale display on map restart after stage 3 BLU win
Fixed the cart moving backwards too fast
Allowed more time for the server to change carts to eliminate the floating bomb bug
Moved stage 2 last cp a bit. Should be easier to capture now
Added entrances to stage 2 last cp room from the air vent area
Deleted the electric transformer room in stage 3 because the route was redundant
Deleted a redundant entrace to stage 3 from the BLU side
Slightly shortened the stage 3 mining tunnel
Added a bit of cover to RED spawn 3 so not everyone gets sniped when exiting the spawn room
Changed the area under the rocket room a bit, providing some space to hide spies or teleporters
For visual feedback the monorail cart is now destroyed when the crane picks up the bomb
Lots of performance improvements for the last room

Cybris

Mar 29, 2008
*** Update: pl_cranetop_b8 has been released! Get it from fpsbanana. ***

-- Beta 8 --
Fixed grayscale issue by deleting the color correction entity
Fixed monorail cart passing over ducked players
Fixed getting stuck on the large girders in stage 3
Fixed some bad displacements
Fixed getting stuck behind the barrels in the round room in stage 2
Fixed a hole in the upper floor of stage 3
Fixed the custom chalkboard texture showing up in other maps
Added small side rooms at stage 2 cap 2 to defuse that chokepoint
Added a small tunnel between stage 3 rocket room and the upstairs area
Added a bit more cover from snipers in stage 3
Remade the stairs that lead to the rocket tower
Used a different cart switching method for stage 3
More performance improvements for stage 3

Vastrix

Aug 11, 2014
It's been 6 years and 10 months and i'm still in love with this map.. ;(

Even tho: Almost not a single server is running it and the map is somewhat broken.
I'm still hopeful that one day, some awesome dev will take over and maintain this map so that the
whole world can see and enjoy it in all it's glory! ;(

I've been trying to contact the dev who unfortunately has abandoned this masterpiece, in the hopes he'd make it open-source
So far.. no luck.. :(