PL_abandonedWoods

PL PL_abandonedWoods RC10

Billo

aa
Feb 8, 2016
i fixed some issues and i reduced lag
in case the lag is still hmmm annoying i can say fell free to tell me
ways to reduce it because i don't know anyother ways except deleting props and brushes and replace some textures with nodraw i mean on part of them

Read the rest of this update entry...

Viemärirotta

sniffer
aa
Feb 5, 2016
You can use areaportals or occluders. Areaportals are cheaper to use than occluders so the only time you should use an occluder is when you just can't use areaportals.

Areaportals basically work by not rendering an areaportal when given the chance. Occluders on the other hand work by not rendering props, thus being more expensive. Also don't cross with areaportals and occluders, makes them not work.

Crowbar

Spiritual preprocessor
aa
Dec 19, 2015
how about hints? sometimes they can do miracles in terms of perfomance

Vel0city

func_fish
aa
Dec 6, 2014
You can't have a map in an RC stage that isn't optimized. At all. That means hinting, areaportals, occluders, the whole lot. If you let Source do its own thing while compiling you'll have a very, very, VERY bad time.

Nighttime71

L2: Junior Member
Jan 11, 2016
I was able to compress your map by 66%. You should really do this for the size of your map! Now here is what I can advice...

You, unfortunately, did not pack your custom content correctly. (check the link for a good explanation on how to do that)
mountain of errors.jpg floating props.jpg
Therefore, there is a lot of oddities with props "floating" and such. But there are real gameplay issues with your map.
payload stuck.jpg
Your payload gets stuck at some point on a ledge, making BLU winning impossible.

invisible.jpg visible on this side.jpg
Depending on how you view this prop it turns visible and invisible.

dark area.jpg
This area is strangely dark, I hope you made your displacements correctly. This MAY be the issue.

There is a hole in your displacements. (your whole map seems to be displacements almost which is bad for optimization)
hole.jpg

You got a lot to do before you can call this RC. One of the biggest (IMO fun) parts of mapping is getting it tested on TF2Maps.net's servers and having real people play around in it. This can improve your mapping skills and prevent these issues from happening faster.

Idolon

they/them
aa
Feb 7, 2008
You can't have a map in an RC stage that isn't optimized. At all. That means hinting, areaportals, occluders, the whole lot. If you let Source do its own thing while compiling you'll have a very, very, VERY bad time.

While you're not wrong, it's a bit of a misnomer to say that hints, areaportals, occluders, model fades, etc. are the key to success. If you want a well-optimized map, the best thing you can do is design your layout from the ground up so that visibility between large areas is limited.

For more information on optimization as a whole, check this site out. It's a great resource.

None offense, but @basilhs333 seems to think of his maps as of way more ready than they are.

Even if you had a remote shred of evidence to support your opinion, the way you've presented it is entirely useless and only serves to be degrading. If you're irritated by the lack of thoughts behind the mapper's updates, say so! Don't try and act smugly superior about your mapping ability, especially when you have very little to show for yourself.

Viemärirotta

sniffer
aa
Feb 5, 2016
try to download the mayann pack with the portal 2 vine pack to have a full expirience of the map

You should still pack it if you want it tested or anything. Maps with unpacked custom content during imps/gamedays are skipped as it's "broken".

Viemärirotta

sniffer
aa
Feb 5, 2016
You can test if your content is packed correctly with sv_pure and if you're unsure, you can ask anyone to check it for a second confirmation (basically a thread/this thread is good). Now if you are asking, false positives can happen due to the tester having the exact same files. That is actually why asking a mapper to do this is not reliable all the time. So perhaps hit up a steam friend for this.

Billo

aa
Feb 8, 2016
ok so i pucked my map i did everything that the guide said now i just upload it here?
i mean the pl_abandonedwoods_rc6 from the sourcesdk_content ?
or is there one other folder of the map that i need to find or something?

Vel0city

func_fish
aa
Dec 6, 2014
ok so i pucked my map i did everything that the guide said now i just upload it here?
i mean the pl_abandonedwoods_rc6 from the sourcesdk_content ?
or is there one other folder of the map that i need to find or something?
Nope, you have to recompile the map with a new name if there's already a version on the server without the content with the same name. If you pack the content into the existing bsp and then upload it everybody will get a version mismatch.