KotH pl

Discussion in 'Map Factory' started by pl, Jun 21, 2012.

1. pl

pl L5: Dapper Member

Positive Ratings:
    Here's my entry - the style I'm planning is Hydro-theme buildings with Offblast (?) style cliffs/etc. I'll fill this first post up with more shots as more layout gets done.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2012
  2. Sergis

aa Sergis L666: ])oo]v[

Positive Ratings:
    payloa/koth hybrids can sometimes work out pretty well :p

3. tyler

aa tyler snail prince, master of a ruined tower

Positive Ratings:
  4. yikitama

yikitama L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Do you think you could tell me how to make displacements like that? Mine is on a cliff-side so i'll have to make a metric butt-ton. It'd be much appreciated.

5. pl

Positive Ratings:
    Hopefully this should help:

I originally found the 'cube' from a resource, but then somehow lost it... (and I also couldn't find it using the forum's search)

So I made my own:
    https://dl.dropbox.com/u/322663/displacement-cube.vmf

Paste that brush from there into your map, then in the "Displacement Paint Geometry" window, set the Axis to "Face Normal".

Now if you alt + right-click on a face on my 'cube' you can distort the displacement in that direction... it really helps in getting nice curved cliffs. :)

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. pl

Positive Ratings:
    A little more progress - I think the scale's a lot better than before now:

[​IMG]

Here's where the first shot originally was:

[​IMG]

I'll try to show much more progress in the next shots, for now you can get a better idea for how it'll look. Gameplay-wise I want it to feel fast and dynamic by giving each class a place where they can be 'most optimal', e.g. soldiers/scouts can easily jump up to the point (see first shot for an idea) whereas pyros & spies might want to take the more obscured route (see the doorway under the point in the 2nd shot).

7. pl

Positive Ratings:
    More pics time...

I forgot to show in the shots before this, there's a stray pillar I added to make it interesting for jump classes. If it's too game-breaking or underused, I'll probably get rid of it. Any opinions on doing this? Or is it too early to make a definite call about it?
    [​IMG]

Below: Some detail, as a 'template' how I should detail the natural parts of the map. (I also just felt like doing some :p )
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Above: Changed the layout here a bit... there's a room underneath the main point so I added some glass panels on the floor to make gameplay as a whole feel more connected.

Hopefully an A1 should be ready soon, just a bit more blocking out then sealing/clipping/etc :)

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  8. MangyCarface

aa MangyCarface Mapper

Positive Ratings:
    I think you should make that capture zone a lot shorter and wider, and remove the windows, they don't make any sense, have little gameplay implication and will only mess with vis structure

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. MetalKev

MetalKev L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    I'm so jelly of how good your displacements look.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. pl

Positive Ratings:
    I agree with the capture zone, maybe it's a bit overkill on the left side. And the windows, yes but I think I'll keep the curved windows since all of those curved brushes are func_detailed (and thus won't make a difference to vis)
    Thanks! :)