Pink does not go away!

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by Swordz, Sep 26, 2009.

1. Swordz

Swordz L5: Dapper Member

Positive Ratings:
    I compiled my map, and bam, everything was pink, so i said: let's buildcubemaps, like i did in the other versions.

But in this version, the pink and black checkers are refusing to dissapear.

This is what i did:

sv_cheats 1
    mat_specular 0
    buildcubemaps
    disconnect
    map cp_dustbowl
    disconnect
    map "mymap"
    pink dissapears, then i type mat_specular 1, and the pink appear again. I'm not using HDR :(

2. The Political Gamer

aa The Political Gamer

Positive Ratings:
    Your in luck! This [ame="http://forums.tf2maps.net/showthread.php?t=9767"]Mapper's toolbar - TF2Maps.net[/ame] was just posted today.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Swordz

Positive Ratings:
  4. Swordz

Positive Ratings:
    Didn't worked. How can it stop working? It worked on the last version, i just added a prop in this version and it stop working :(

5. J4CK8

J4CK8 L11: Posh Member

Positive Ratings:
    Try buidlcubemaps, then 'changelevel' rather than 'map' then change it back to your map.

6. strangemodule

strangemodule L5: Dapper Member

Positive Ratings:
    Maybe one of your cubemaps was near another cubemap/shiny surface? I've had cubemaps reflect shiny surfaces when being built, so pink would be reflected.

7. Swordz

Positive Ratings:
    But it worked in the last version, i didn't changed anything :/

i noticed there are cubemaps in places that the pink doesn't appear. i will delete them... damn here we go, more 1 hour and 30 mins of normal vvis

8. Cameron:D

Cameron:D L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    you need to do mat_specular 0 before building cubemaps.

More info in my sig.

9. UKCS-Alias

aa UKCS-Alias Mann vs Machine... or... Mapper vs Meta?

Positive Ratings:
    I have the same issue and mat_specular doesnt do anything against it. For me it only happens on water and glass but not on player models (the demoman bottle shows up all fine same for the scout bat). The water and glass texture are both valid as i checked the valve maps for the textures they use.

And for me it also worked in an earlier version. I have tried alot but everything just fails.

10. Swordz

Positive Ratings:
    i compiled HDR in the map, and now it worked.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. UKCS-Alias

aa UKCS-Alias Mann vs Machine... or... Mapper vs Meta?

Positive Ratings:
    The HDR indeed fixed it for me also. But I now found the way to avoid you having to compile it with HDR also. just make a custom compile setting (or edit the default one - i copied that one instead and named it to BetterLight *see attachment*). Then at light_exe add to the parameters: -ldr

Why it didnt work with the normal compile options setting it on normal i dont know though. I would expect it to do ldr as default.

And use -staticproppolys. Simply because it does improve your lighting without any harddrive space as cost (it makes your compile longer though). It saves you from having to disable shadows at props like the fences.