KotH Pinetech

biskuu

L2: Junior Member
Oct 25, 2014
Here is my first attempt at making a complete TF2 map.

It is a little unbalanced and not that well optimised, I just thought it would be cool if I uploaded it here. :laugh:

Made it back in August 2014 and never shared it. :p

Egan

aa
Feb 14, 2010
MYfgYwy.jpg

Immediate first impression is the spawn is kinda dark and my fps should be higher. You could add some area portal brushes in the doorways at the very least.

bvhgbFk.jpg

You have red props in blue spawn (change the skin keyvalue on the prop in case you don't know). The volumetric light doesn't make much sense because the roof is in the way of the light from outside. You also have some weird lighting on the bench and mop in the corner, either compile the map with -staticproppolys and shit, or give those props an info_lighting.

58YTHYB.jpg

The metal beams just going into the ground looks bleh, you should add some foundation to the beam, or at least some dirt overlays.

R6jrLyL.jpg

This room is pretty dark. At least add a light to the healthpack spawn.

YxOhWBq.jpg

The view outside the windows kinda stinks - just a brick wall, really?

nOwI8Wd.jpg

This ramp is good because you can get some quick height, which is more fun than the rest of the areas because they're all flat, but this ramp doesn't look like any natural thing. Should probably get some idea what it is.

C5PmE45.jpg

This doesn't look good in TF2. Same things with this one also: [2]

LTq287c.jpg

This again doesn't fit in TF2 much, but it also doesn't make sense as far as I know - not sure I've ever seen brick infused concrete blocks before.

FwDgGdG.jpg

This climb is annoying to jump up because my head hits the bottom of the railing prop thing and I get stuck. Put some playerclip there so I don't hit it with my head and stop or take out collisions on it entirely and just remake the collisions with a simple rectangular prism clip.

VAAt7RX.jpg

If there's a light entity in there increase its intensity (R G B Intensity - 255 255 255 100) because I can barely see it from outside.

SDXRlRS.jpg

It looks like a lot of your detailing is putting objects at the sides of paths and rooms because the shape of the layout already is very basic and uninteresting. You should make the route a bit more complex/interesting and you won't need to fill the space with this stuff as much - also it will make the flat ground more fun to maneuver around on.

UUo5ZBu.jpg

This full healthpack sitting outside of spawn begs attackers to camp the doorway, was that your intention?

Looks like a decent start to mapping, hope this helps you push it and other stuff further.

biskuu

L2: Junior Member
Oct 25, 2014
Looks like a decent start to mapping, hope this helps you push it and other stuff further.

Thanks for replying. I pretty much know every mistake I've made by now :p
I just wanted to upload it here. :)

Shaeam

L1: Registered
Aug 19, 2011
MYfgYwy.jpg

Immediate first impression is the spawn is kinda dark and my fps should be higher. You could add some area portal brushes in the doorways at the very least.

bvhgbFk.jpg

You have red props in blue spawn (change the skin keyvalue on the prop in case you don't know). The volumetric light doesn't make much sense because the roof is in the way of the light from outside. You also have some weird lighting on the bench and mop in the corner, either compile the map with -staticproppolys and shit, or give those props an info_lighting.

58YTHYB.jpg

The metal beams just going into the ground looks bleh, you should add some foundation to the beam, or at least some dirt overlays.

R6jrLyL.jpg

This room is pretty dark. At least add a light to the healthpack spawn.

YxOhWBq.jpg

The view outside the windows kinda stinks - just a brick wall, really?

nOwI8Wd.jpg

This ramp is good because you can get some quick height, which is more fun than the rest of the areas because they're all flat, but this ramp doesn't look like any natural thing. Should probably get some idea what it is.

C5PmE45.jpg

This doesn't look good in TF2. Same things with this one also: [2]

LTq287c.jpg

This again doesn't fit in TF2 much, but it also doesn't make sense as far as I know - not sure I've ever seen brick infused concrete blocks before.

FwDgGdG.jpg

This climb is annoying to jump up because my head hits the bottom of the railing prop thing and I get stuck. Put some playerclip there so I don't hit it with my head and stop or take out collisions on it entirely and just remake the collisions with a simple rectangular prism clip.

VAAt7RX.jpg

If there's a light entity in there increase its intensity (R G B Intensity - 255 255 255 100) because I can barely see it from outside.

SDXRlRS.jpg

It looks like a lot of your detailing is putting objects at the sides of paths and rooms because the shape of the layout already is very basic and uninteresting. You should make the route a bit more complex/interesting and you won't need to fill the space with this stuff as much - also it will make the flat ground more fun to maneuver around on.

UUo5ZBu.jpg

This full healthpack sitting outside of spawn begs attackers to camp the doorway, was that your intention?

Very good feedback; I even learned a little bit from it myself, thanks for the time it took to post that.