Pine Peak

PL Pine Peak b1c

MC_Labs15

Server Staff
Dec 10, 2020
Pine Peak - An alpine payload map for the Rule of Threes contest

I went a little overboard with my A1. Took me a month. Hopefully it plays well...

Rhamkin

The The The
aa
Jan 6, 2020
I remenber seeing you making this map in the discord, really wanna play it

MC_Labs15

Server Staff
Dec 10, 2020
- Redesigned most of point A
- Tweaked a few routes
- Made point B less claustrophobic
- Added rollback zone before B and added doors that open after the cart reaches a certain point
- Changed spawn positions and gave RED an intermediate spawn
- Made some skyboxes a bit higher
- Tweaked pickups
- Removed some clutter
- Other miscellaneous adjustments

Read the rest of this update entry...

MC_Labs15

Server Staff
Dec 10, 2020
- Tweaked pickups in A to encourage engineers to build in the designated spots
- Added a small health pack in the area between A and B
- Moved the saw at B to hopefully encourage more gameplay around it
- Made the doors at B take slightly longer to open and added an extra door so RED players don't go down the staircase to a dead end

The choke at last was quite intense in the last version, so I also made the following tweaks:

- BLU now receives a bit more time after capping B
- Added an extra back area in last
- Gave BLU a safer route to RED's high ground in last

MC_Labs15

Server Staff
Dec 10, 2020
The map has been pretty tough for BLU! In an attempt to fix this, I have made the following changes:

- Tweaked pickups
- Removed the rollback zones before B
- Changed the left route into B into a one-way route for BLU that is opened as soon as the cart reaches the top of the hill.
There is also a clear audio/visual indication of this.
- The right route into B is now always open, but the sightline out of it has been cut off by a wood fence.
- Added a shortcut route that opens after B is capped to make it easier for BLU to leave their forward spawn
- Fixed one of the spawn room triggers being inactive
- Redesigned part of the transition area between B and C and gave BLU a better route
- Added a high ground area for BLU in last, accessible from a staircase off the main choke
- Tweaked the left flank into last

Uncuepa

aa
Oct 25, 2014
I really enjoyed it during the playtest! The theme is always a classic, bright greens and earthy tones - The only thing I found a little hard were the entryways into last for attack - I think having both entry doors right next to one another often had attacking teams pushed back to that choke. I think if there were another route into the left side it might help with attackers using that route! I also threw out the idea of a moving saw blade, and it is a little gimmicky but I think its funny and would keep that area interesting as far as positioning and sightlines too. Can't wait to see this one detailed, and could easily see this alpine map getting snowy too for a smissmas version or something!

MC_Labs15

Server Staff
Dec 10, 2020
- Added clipping to some areas with annoying posts
- Redesigned the diagonal room near point A to have some height and block sightlines to flanking players
- Fixed a hole in the clipping above a building (that thankfully no one noticed)
- Tweaked the side route into last
- Raised up a rock in the first courtyard to prevent a nasty sightline into BLU spawn
- Added a third spawn exit out of BLU's first spawn
- Fixed a hole in the roof at point B

Uncuepa

aa
Oct 25, 2014
Thought I'd take a look at A5 and leave some feedback! Hope this is helpful, of course its just my opinion so don't take as this is a must, just suggestion!

First thing is you should format the name pl_pinepeak rather than pl_pine_peak - all map names go gamemode_name_version and splitting the name by an underscore is unconventional. I'd also add at least one info_observer_point to the first point so that on join you aren't greeted with a spectator view under the ground haha, you can set them up point by point to lock and unlock for each team but thats more of a beta thing to worry about.

Lets get into the screenshots!

20210805115715_1.jpg

I'd love if this window were open, I think it would make sniper more useful rather than standing in the cart track path and it acts as a skill jump to rotate from ramp into the flank. It doesn't see any spawn doors so it wouldnt likely be overpowered.

20210805115544_1.jpg

This new height advantage is good but I wish it were 2 windows rather than a strange ramp doorway. One of the windows could be wire and just for visibility, likely the one on the left that ive drawn.

20210805115622_1.jpg

This is how I imagine it from the other side, and also that ramped block I don't think is very useful and could likely be removed to open up that area just a little.

20210805120153_1.jpg
20210805120135_1.jpg

The first image here is my recreation of what one engineer did one round I was playing defense, they set up a level 3 outside our one spawn door. I think opening up the courtyard outside as a red spawn exit would be good!

20210805115751_1.jpg

And here's how it could be done! I also think that health kit and ammo is a little deep into this cave part and could be shifted around the corner. I'd make the doorway a door so that once blu use this as an attack route, the courtyard is no longer open.

20210805115825_1.jpg

In my experience, on cap, blu just CHARGES out the doorway to the right leaving 1-3 people to slow push the cart and crawl out of the main and left doors here. I think red also lacks a good way to hold BACK at the second cap without over extending past the sawblade.

My suggestion is a new highground route to replace the right doorway.

20210805115911_1.jpg
20210805115908_1.jpg

On the other side of blu's highground, red could have its own platform, still keeping the health and ammo below. Would be a good spot for sentries and make for a better red hold back here I think.

On to last!

20210805120006_1.jpg

The stairs in this room are a bit weird...

20210805115941_1.jpg

And this large block is likely to prevent red from seeing the low ground but I think it just makes this entrance VERY cramped for blu and chokes this path.

20210805120023_1.jpg
20210805120020_1.jpg

I'd still love to see another entrance to this side of last. The health and ammo could be shifted a little and then this stairway could be a great flank for attacks and defenders alike

Thats my feedback! I hope its helpful, and again I dont think all of these are necessary, the map plays well in my experience and is in a pretty good spot. I love the climb for last, seeing the big train viaduct. It feels really solid imo!

MC_Labs15

Server Staff
Dec 10, 2020
Thank you, I really appreciate the feedback and suggestions. I'll be keeping this in mind as I go about tweaking/polishing the map over the next week. I'll admit that I was never really happy with that long transition area between B and C. The low ground is kind of a dead space and the buildings with the shutters feel awkward. Since it plays well enough for the time being and I'm running out of time before the deadline, I will probably just make a few minor tweaks to them for now, and I can redesign them further after the contest is over.

MC_Labs15

Server Staff
Dec 10, 2020
- Made a rough artpass over most of the map (still want to test a couple things before going all in)
- Miscellaneous detailing tweaks
- Opened up a window in the first area
- Added an extra window for visibility inside the point A building
- Opened up skyboxes a bit
- Redesigned part of the last point to flow better and feel less like a placeholder
- Instead of a generic pit, there is now a fun surprise when the cart reaches the end!

MC_Labs15

Server Staff
Dec 10, 2020
- Fixed some lingering dev textures
- Fixed being able to escape the map through a non-solid door
- Fixed some clipping issues
- Fixed missing rollback indicator
- Fixed being able to place stickies on the sawblade and stand on certain parts of it
- Fixed weird, misaligned props
- Fixed some weird displacements
- Fix collision on cabinets in the flank at last
- Fixed odd lighting in some spots
- Fixed skybox making a wall invisible
- Improved optimization
- Fixed missing soundscapes
- Did a full compile instead of fast

MC_Labs15

Server Staff
Dec 10, 2020
Probably the last bugfix before the grace period is over!

- Stopped the saw from killing players after the shortcut opens
- Re-sealed the window on the left flank near the first point because it created some nasty sightlines
- Fixed a few nodraw textures
- Adjusted clipping
- Fixed wonky texture alignment
- Fixed missing spectator cameras
- Players should no longer be blinded when outside

MC_Labs15

Server Staff
Dec 10, 2020
Probably the last bugfix before the grace period is over!

- Stopped the saw from killing players after the shortcut opens
- Re-sealed the window on the left flank near the first point because it created some nasty sightlines
- Fixed a few nodraw textures
- Adjusted clipping
- Fixed wonky texture alignment
- Fixed missing spectator cameras
- Players should no longer be blinded when outside