Physics problem with prop.

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by RideTheCatfish, Oct 13, 2009.

1. RideTheCatfish

RideTheCatfish L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    I'm having a bit of a problem with a certain (prop_dynamic) object. It's one of those spinning vent-tops (I lack a snapshot, but it looks like this), and while it's there, spinning, and I can see it in-game, I can walk through it.

This is probably a simple error, but it's flying over my head right now for one reason or another. What entity do I set it to?

2. alecom

alecom L8: Fancy Shmancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    Check what collision type it's using. Some props don't have VPhysics mesh things though, and you'll want to make your own (use a nodraw or blockbullet brush I think would work).

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. PL-7764

PL-7764 L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    Many props (an unfortunate number of which would otherwise be very useful in gameplay areas) simply lack a VPhysics model, meaning nothing can collide with them, no matter what their solidity settings. You'll usually see an error in the in-game console if you look at it upon first loading the map - often a whole string of such errors - saying something along the lines of "Solid PROP_DYNAMIC with no VPhysics model! [Prop directory here]" That won't be the exact text, but it's something similar.

My improvised solution is a brush or series of simple brushes formed around the object with the "Block bullets" texture (I've used "Clip" in the past, but I think Blockbullets does the same thing in addition to ... well, blocking bullets). For something as small as the rotating chimney I'd probably just use a simple cylindrical brush sized to occupy roughly the same space as it.

EDIT: Ninja'd D:

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. RideTheCatfish

RideTheCatfish L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Great! I'll see if that works.

5. Ravidge

aa Ravidge Grand Vizier

Positive Ratings:
    blockbullets texture cuts vis, just a notice before you get all surprised over it like everyone else :p

I would use a metal texture, turn it into func_brush, set render to "don't render" and kablam. you have a clip that makes metal sparks fly when shot at.

6. Dr. ROCKZO

Dr. ROCKZO L8: Fancy Shmancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    Let us know, Yes, I've seen those fans before, it's always annoying walking into them in vents and falling through them into the Skybox..