Pelagic

Blade x64

Logical insanity
aa
Sep 3, 2009
Pelagic deviates from the standard KOTH layout. Imagine a graph with the control point in the origin. Red team comes from both ends of the Y-axis while blue comes from both ends of the X-axis.The flow from these axis are not directed to the point, so you'll find players running every which way. In other words, action will not be hard to find. It feels like a deathmatch map.

I was planning on making this a multi-stage koth, but that idea has been shelved for an undefined amount of time. For now, here is the first stage with final-ish detail.

Credits to the Bullet Props pack for the oceanic models.

Last edited:
T

The Asylum

Three stage KOTH?

So is it going to be like Pipeline where it doesn't matter who win the first two stages, and just go right to the next stage regardless of who won the last one? Or is it going to be like a linear CP map?

Mar 23, 2010
Please explain this "3 stage KOTH"

Blade x64

Logical insanity
aa
Sep 3, 2009
Three stage KOTH?

So is it going to be like Pipeline where it doesn't matter who win the first two stages, and just go right to the next stage regardless of who won the last one? Or is it going to be like a linear CP map?

No. The losers of the first stage will have an advantage in the second stage.

Alright, I'll try to explain what I'm trying to do:
First stage, normal KOTH.

Second stage, KOTH themed CP. Losers get advantage. Imagine a normal control point, when you cap it, you move right on to the next CP, right? Well I plan on changing that. You must hold a point for a set amount of time before it counts as a cap. Not sure how good it will be, but it is worth a shot.

Third stage, short bit of payload to a KOTH point, once cart reaches destination, KOTH point is unlocked. If a team lost twice, they get a bigger advantage. If they lost then won, the game will be balanced. If they lost then got a stalemate, then they'll still have their slight advantage.

Last edited:

Seba

DR. BIG FUCKER, PHD
aa
Jun 9, 2009
That's...quite a shitton of crates.

Protip: make sure the Well stairs are playerclipped all the way to the bottom.

lucky

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
May 25, 2009
Since there is an advantage to losing the first two rounds, will each win of a round give a point? Otherwise there doesn't seem much point in winning those first two...

Blade x64

Logical insanity
aa
Sep 3, 2009
So it is like Pipeline then, where it goes Stage 1 --> 2 --> 3, regardless of who wins, right?

Yes, the stages will be the same, but where teams spawn will vary.

Protip: make sure the Well stairs are playerclipped all the way to the bottom.

Will do, hadn't even thought of that.

Since there is an advantage to losing the first two rounds, will each win of a round give a point? Otherwise there doesn't seem much point in winning those first two...

Yes, points will be awarded. Either team will want to win anyway, though.

Last edited:

lucky

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
May 25, 2009
So long as there is an incentive yes. If you're just winning those first two rounds to give the other team an advantage for the round that gets the winning point, then that's a bit counter intuitive!

Mar 23, 2010
Not sure how good it will be, but it is worth a shot.

you could always make cap times long like E on steel (takes a full 70 seconds to cap with 1x cap multiplier).

Time

L1: Registered
Mar 19, 2009
First stage, normal KOTH.

Second stage, KOTH themed CP. Losers get advantage. Imagine a normal control point, when you cap it, you move right on to the next CP, right? Well I plan on changing that. You must hold a point for a set amount of time before it counts as a cap. Not sure how good it will be, but it is worth a shot.

Third stage, short bit of payload to a KOTH point, once cart reaches destination, KOTH point is unlocked. If a team lost twice, they get a bigger advantage. If they lost then won, the game will be balanced. If they lost then got a stalemate, then they'll still have their slight advantage.

That actually sounds pretty cool! Can't wait to see how the complete map will look like.

Time

L1: Registered
Mar 19, 2009
Okay, had a test run with the map and I found a few issues.

koth_pelagic_a10000.jpg

Needs signs. I had no idea which path to use.

koth_pelagic_a10001.jpg

This water kills you in seconds. Inform the player of that by putting a death sign.

koth_pelagic_a10002.jpg

And of course, cubemaps.

Blade x64

Logical insanity
aa
Sep 3, 2009
Thanks for the input, I added the signs. As for the cubemaps, I'm sure I placed them and ran buildcubemaps for both LDR and HDR.

Nov 14, 2009
Took a run around, and I find the water EXTREMELY retarded.

Please, no instant death traps, even with notification. Your main spawn exit goes to a deathtrap, that can only be crossed by a good rocket jump. I do like how the spawn face each otehr, but be careful with non-symmetrical layouts, especialy on Koth maps. The cranes are cool.

I get a very Left 4 Dead vibe from this map, not sure why. Also, there are a crazy amount of crates there, maybe try to vary it.

Blade x64

Logical insanity
aa
Sep 3, 2009
Took a run around, and I find the water EXTREMELY retarded.

Please, no instant death traps, even with notification. Your main spawn exit goes to a deathtrap, that can only be crossed by a good rocket jump.
If you don't like the watery death, got any better ideas? I put that gap there to push the flow towards the point. A scout can cross as well.

I do like how the spawn face each otehr, but be careful with non-symmetrical layouts, especialy on Koth maps.
The layout is mostly symmetrical, looking from the top at least.
The cranes are cool. I get a very Left 4 Dead vibe from this map, not sure why. Also, there are a crazy amount of crates there, maybe try to vary it.
Considering I was mapping for L4D for quite some time, I'm not too surprised. I did try to think of something to make it vary, but I don't have much. This is themed off of a shipping port after all, of which usually feature a myriad of crates.

Nov 14, 2009
Maybe make the water non-toxic, but allow a way out. Maybe some staircases. It should be enough punishment just to lose the height advantage, and not totally die.

Blade x64

Logical insanity
aa
Sep 3, 2009
Map updated. Detailed significantly. Water no longer kills. Point given cover. Various structural changes.