Payload

Etasus

L420: High Member
Jul 24, 2016
so, i've never made a payload map, not even any prealpha release .vmfs, and I was wondering how they were done, as I have been debating making a payload map, or an unreal tournament map...

so, my question is: are they done track first? gameplay spaces first? or a random jumbling of the two?

I feel like I want to try track first...

EDIT: I either will do this, unreal tournament, or turn mountainlab into a 5cp map, (Thanks for the idea @HolySnickerPuffs Is it alright if i use the idea?)

Last edited:

Idolon

they/them
aa
Feb 7, 2008
While it's possible to design the track first and make the layout after, I think a lot of people will design gameplay spaces with a payload track in mind. However, you might fall into the track of making the map one large corridor with no pacing (as tends to be the way of a lot of bad payload maps)

To avoid that, try designing a bunch of smaller sections of gameplay space with a bit of track running through them and then joining them all together to make a complete map. I think Barnblitz was designed this way, as the control points are all located at the end of an open area.

There's a lot more strategies you can use for designing a good payload map, but I'm still trying to figure them out.

Crowbar

Spiritual preprocessor
aa
Dec 19, 2015
Objective and gameplay spaces can't be taken apart from each other. You don't just develop one without thinking of the other.