Payload

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by SmallBiscuit, Dec 26, 2016.

1. SmallBiscuit

SmallBiscuit L7: Fancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    so, i've never made a payload map, not even any prealpha release .vmfs, and I was wondering how they were done, as I have been debating making a payload map, or an unreal tournament map...

so, my question is: are they done track first? gameplay spaces first? or a random jumbling of the two?

I feel like I want to try track first...

EDIT: I either will do this, unreal tournament, or turn mountainlab into a 5cp map, (Thanks for the idea @HolySnickerPuffs Is it alright if i use the idea?)

Last edited: Dec 26, 2016
  2. Idolon

aa Idolon the worst admin

Positive Ratings:
    While it's possible to design the track first and make the layout after, I think a lot of people will design gameplay spaces with a payload track in mind. However, you might fall into the track of making the map one large corridor with no pacing (as tends to be the way of a lot of bad payload maps)

To avoid that, try designing a bunch of smaller sections of gameplay space with a bit of track running through them and then joining them all together to make a complete map. I think Barnblitz was designed this way, as the control points are all located at the end of an open area.

There's a lot more strategies you can use for designing a good payload map, but I'm still trying to figure them out.

3. SmallBiscuit

SmallBiscuit L7: Fancy Member

Positive Ratings:
  4. Crowbar

aa Crowbar perfektoberfest

Positive Ratings:
    Objective and gameplay spaces can't be taken apart from each other. You don't just develop one without thinking of the other.