Payload tutorial?

• If you're asking a question make sure to set the thread type to be a question!

Stickeyjam

L2: Junior Member
Jun 2, 2009
I want to add a Payload to my small fun map but I can't see to find a good tutorial on how to add it. I did a quick search on Google and the Valve dev wiki has one, but I can't get my Payload to actually move.

Anyone know of any videos/links?

Mr.Blob

L8: Fancy Shmancy Member
Jun 12, 2009
Download A Boojum Snark's ABS resource pack

Here

It has everything you need for game modes.

Stickeyjam

Jun 2, 2009
Thanks, I have that but I was just wondering if there was a video on setting it all up?

Mr.Blob

L8: Fancy Shmancy Member
Jun 12, 2009
Why would you need a video though? You can either copy and paste all the entities into your map, or just "see how it's done" with the ready made entities.

Edit: if you get stuck, you can always come and ask questions in the group chat.

Last edited:

NanoSquid

L3: Member
May 6, 2010
If you need instructions on how to get through making a payload map, check out the enclosed ABS resource pack!

images

Stickeyjam

Jun 2, 2009
All I want to do is have the payload move along the tracks when someone is near it. I don't actually want any control points or anything. But everything I load the map, the cart just won't move >_<

I've followed the wiki tutorial twice and I tried copying/pasting the carts from the resource pack but no luck.

sniprpenguin

L6: Sharp Member
Mar 14, 2008
func_trigger around the cart, func_tracktrain in the center, prop_dynamic in the center of all that.

Parent the prop and trigger to the tracktrain.

Add to trigger OnStartTouchAll -> Tracktrain move (whatever the command is) and OnEndTouchAll -> Tracktrain stop. You can later add a team filter to the trigger so, say, only Blu can move it.

This is assuming you don't want the payload to act as a normal payload would (capping points upon passing a point, rolling backwards after 30sec, having a info_observer_point), but rather as an easter egg or possibly a moving dispenser if you add a remap_dispenser to it.

Stickeyjam

Jun 2, 2009
This is assuming you don't want the payload to act as a normal payload would (capping points upon passing a point, rolling backwards after 30sec, having a info_observer_point), but rather as an easter egg or possibly a moving dispenser if you add a remap_dispenser to it.

That's pretty much what I want it for! Thanks :) Would this still count as a Payload to TF2 though? There is an achievement where you ride the payload for a certain amount of time. I'd still like my players to be able to get that.

Or would I need to setup a control point for it to register as a Payload?

Last edited:

Stickeyjam

Jun 2, 2009
Nope it doesn't count as a payload?
or
Nope I won't have to setup a control point to do it?