Payload Pet Peeves

Muddy

Muddy
aa
Sep 5, 2014
I don't like how theirs only two or three ways for Payload maps to end. It's only 'Dont Explode', 'Explode', or 'Explode in Water'.
Well considering that the objective is a really big bomb, it's hard to think of how else they could end.

Also there's no better ending to a map (or anything, really) than with a massive explosion that demolishes everything in the area.

Shogun

L6: Sharp Member
Jan 31, 2014
I like payload maps that give the defenders a significant advantage over the attackers, until the defenders capture it from them. Badwater does this the best IMO, especially on the second point. Red team can set up their defences on the roof and rain down destruction on Blu team, and it's pretty difficult to dislodge them once they get up there. Likewise, once Blu team finally wrestle control of the roof, they can do the same to red defenders running out of spawn desperately try to stop the cart. This is FUN. I can't stand it when payload maps feel the need to give every sentry/defending spot a hard counter. By adding these vantage points, it gives Blu something to fight over besides just pushing the cart.

SnickerPuffs

(*single chuckle*)
aa
Apr 10, 2014
Or 'Explode and Send My Brother to Hell.'

I want other types of explosions, is what I'm saying. Explosions in air, explosions in volcanoes, stuff like that.

I just want explosions that are more than just explosions, if that wakes any sense.

Jul 6, 2015
I want other types of explosions, is what I'm saying. Explosions in air, explosions in volcanoes, stuff like that.

I just want explosions that are more than just explosions, if that wakes any sense.

I get what your talking about:
Introducting the Clean Fight Campaign Update

Attachments

• kaboom-cleaner-works-well-to-clean-my-shower-and-tub-21515034.jpg
    kaboom-cleaner-works-well-to-clean-my-shower-and-tub-21515034.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 56

ChuckSpurgeon

L2: Junior Member
Jan 6, 2014
Guys--many of these comments are super helpful! I'm really motivated to make a payload map and want to avoid things that inhibit fun gameplay.

Keep 'em coming!

...and yes, Frontier is disliked by many of you, apparently. :) I happen to like it, in spite of its problems.

sooshey

:3c
aa
Jan 7, 2015
If you're looking for more opinions on the actual maps, here's what i've learned from making my first payload map:
  • It's hard to break up sightlines along the track but try your best and make sure there are alternate routes
  • Keep spawns away from points and major fighting spaces (i'm looking at you, frontier first red spawn)
  • Placement of forward spawns is hard but that's what map tests are for!
  • Also watch out for overscaling--no one wants to be stuck at the cart in the middle of a wide open vulnerable area.

Oct 6, 2008
I dislike the constraints of the game play. I experimented with a multiple payload map (same principle as payload) but the mayhem comes from what to do - do we defend one cart, both?

But usually the biggest killer for me is a single choke point that is a funnel kill zone for the red team - blue has to go there so concentrate all your fire there - no skill involved.

Edit: Don't do or try the mpl_ (multiple payload) as a first payload map. If you're good at making maps hope you're good with coding game logic - there's a ton of it and file manipulation :)

Personally, I've love to see some people to this game play style in the contest this weekend :)
I can't participate as I'm gearing up for an art show and will be out of town.

Last edited: