Payload Pet Peeves

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by ChuckSpurgeon, Jan 26, 2016.

1. ChuckSpurgeon

ChuckSpurgeon L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    What are you pet peeves when it comes to payload maps?

• Specifically regarding general theory/philosophy of payload
    • Over-used / ill-advised gimmicks
    • Flank routes / cart-push path scaling

Again, I'd like to hear what tends to frustrate you when it comes to playing payload maps.

Thanks!

2. Muddy

Server Staff Muddy Muddy

Positive Ratings:
    Frontier has the worst spawns ever.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. ChuckSpurgeon

ChuckSpurgeon L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    The main push path in Blue spawn 1 is just a gibbus sniper-fest, yes? Red spawn 1 might benefit from having an elevated position or possibly a second access.

I HATE the 3rd Blue spawn (Red's second). Again, that one, cramped door leads to much camping--and the anterior room before opening the door is too small.

What irks you about these spawns?

4. Izotope

aa Izotope Never releases maps

Positive Ratings:
    cart sounds play when the cart is standing still.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Zed

aa Zed Certified Most Crunk™

Positive Ratings:
    Frontier in general irks me. The detailing is all sorts of strange and all over the place, the cart takes up way too much space, everything about the last point is atrocious, and the spawns, as mentioned, are terrible.

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. Hyperion

aa Hyperion L16: Grid Member

Positive Ratings:
    Am I only one who has not ever got spawncamped in Frontier?

And I have played it a lot

7. MegapiemanPHD

aa MegapiemanPHD Doctorate in Deliciousness

Positive Ratings:
    I really dislike paths that don't give you much room to move around the cart. Sometimes I get stuck between the cart and geometry and can't move OR die from tripping up on geometry.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. sooshey

aa sooshey :3c

Positive Ratings:
    Trying to get up on the cart while it's on that big uphill between A and B like d a m n

9. ics

aa ics http://ics-base.net

Positive Ratings:
    I kind of don't like frontier either. I mean the custom cart is nice to have but it blocks your way time to time and you might get stuck with it. You can't even see approaching enemies from behind it.

Another map which i dislike is hoodoo. It's pretty cramped and has had some weird bugs, such as the self moving cart. Basically the 2nd stage of it irks me, as it's very open and used to be a strain on lower end pc's like i had when the map first came out. These days it's not an issue.

10. Muddy

Server Staff Muddy Muddy

Positive Ratings:
    Blue's first spawn can easily be locked down by one decent Sniper on Red, since all Blue players get funnelled through one hallway into a massive sightline.

Red's first forward spawn is very easily camped 'cos it's only got one exit and it's at a height disadvantage, plus Soldiers can jump on top of the doorframe and rain rockets down on anyone who dares leave. Red's final spawn is very strangely placed, and is once again very easy to camp - plus it's right next to a deathpit, making it a fun spot for Blue Pyros.

I can't remember what the other ones were like, but I bet they're terrible too.

Also, the amount of winding stairs in that map... blimey.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. Vel0city

aa Vel0city func_fish

Positive Ratings:
    Spawns sometimes flat out don't work. At all. BLU can cap first point and still spawn back at base.

12. Zed

aa Zed Certified Most Crunk™

Positive Ratings:
    I like how this thread basically became "why do you not like Frontier"

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. Muddy

Server Staff Muddy Muddy

Positive Ratings:
    you're welcome

• Funny Funny x 2
  14. HolySnickerPuffs

aa HolySnickerPuffs Bad at TF2, Loves Mapping For TF2

Positive Ratings:
    Let's move the topic from "Frontier is awful" back to "I don't like X,Y, and Z about Payload maps", shall we?

I don't like how theirs only two or three ways for Payload maps to end. It's only 'Dont Explode', 'Explode', or 'Explode in Water'.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Like Like x 1
  15. puxorb

aa puxorb L69: Emoticon

Positive Ratings:
    The voice lines. I hate hearing "push the cart!" literally every 10 seconds, or as soon as the cart has come to a stop. Though I guess this is something we can't change.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. sooshey

aa sooshey :3c

Positive Ratings:
    As a scout main, hearing "the freakin' cart stopped!" as soon as i accidentally step outside the trigger makes me want to throw my computer

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
  17. Lampenpam

aa Lampenpam

Positive Ratings:
    The cart is the reason I don't hate the map. BLU has some great and mobile cover while pushing and that makes Fornties the only PL map where I like to play BLU.

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2016
  18. Yrr

aa Yrr An Actual Deer

Positive Ratings:
    places where the cart passes by something so close you cant walk between them

dont do this in your maps pls

• Agree Agree x 5
  19. ics

aa ics http://ics-base.net

Positive Ratings:
    In Frontier, there is a delay atleast on the 1st spawn room to close down as RED and start as BLU and also on the BLU 2nd forward spawn. You can spawn both of these but others might spawn ahead. Not sure why it isn't instant.

Well it's payload bomb, so it's usually exploding or not exploding. Personally, we took a bit different angle on our latest map. The payload gets delivered to pit with a rocket. If BLU fails, rocket launches and destroys BLU base. If they succeed, then the rocket simply gets destroyed.

20. OctoBlitz

OctoBlitz L5: Dapper Member

Positive Ratings:
    What about Cactus Canyon? IT GETS HIT BY A FREAKING TRAIN FOR GOD'S SAKE!!!!