CP Pathfinder

phi

aa
Nov 6, 2011
From the creator of cp_sunshine, cp_wetland and cp_derecho comes a new 5CP map: cp_pathfinder.

A sort of a monstrous map, the layout was pieced together in the course of two hours from dozens of bits of architecture ripped from my enormous stockade of unreleased projects. (I also have a displacement fetish. Probably a good 70% of this map is straight displacements.)

I then felt like it was good enough quality to test, and now I feel like the test went well enough that I should post it.

So here we are. Who knows what will become of this map. Who knows if I'll even have time to map any more this semester in the first place beyond cp_sunshine. Either way, here you go.

Last edited:

Kraken

Few more zeros and ones for the site to proccess
Dec 21, 2014
70% displacements?
Does that include the walls?

Ps. how can you make displacement walls look good?

DrLambda

L69: Teeheehee, Member
aa
Feb 18, 2015
Hey there. Tried it out with bots.

1. You can't get back into forward spawn once you left it. Is that on purpose? Feels weird.
2. I really felt kinda useless as an Engineer. Even against bots, i wasn't able to place a sentry that wasn't attackable from multiple directions at all times. The forward spawn when you got mid makes teleporter placement really awkward.
3. Respawn times feel really long at 20 seconds. I'm not 100% on that, i just played like 3 rounds, but it feels this way.
cp_pathfinder_a1_01.jpg

(sorry, currently running TF on a real old graphic card)
Guess there is a stair missing there? Seems weird that you have to jump.

Minor at this stage of development:
5. There is a nodraw texture on a wall on the left exit of the spawn. It's so obvious that you probably already found it.
6. You can rocketjump from the walkable roof on 2/4 and see nodraws/no displacement on top of the rocks in the direction to mid.

Last edited:

puxorb

L69: Emoticon
aa
Dec 15, 2013
I haven't downloaded this so I don't know for sure, but that is a very small-looking 5cp map.

It looks like it might only take a minute to walk from one side to the other.

phi

aa
Nov 6, 2011
I've never been fond of that gravel texture you've used on the ground. It feels too noisy. Could just be me though.

it definitely is really noisy and is a result of me not putting time into painting alpha. a2, whenever it happens, will have better-looking dirt more akin to badlands