Particle Effects in maps

DucatiBon

L2: Junior Member
Jan 28, 2009
How do you get animated particle effects (im talking ep2 ones that are dynamic)
in a map, I have a torch that i need "fired" but just using the standard fire looks horrid.\

EDIT: any why are all my "Prop_Detail" showing up as errors?

Last edited:

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
prop_detail doesn't work in TF2, you'll have to use static or dynamic instead

you can use info_particle_system to get the particles, you'll need to know the name of the particle you want to use and simply put the name into the keyvalue, set it to start on and it will work.

However you can't use custom particles or any particle that isn't already in TF2 since you can't zip them into the map successfully.

DucatiBon

Jan 28, 2009
Hmm is there anyway to get NON TF2 particle effects into the map?
Because there really is no small flame effects that i know of, and if i use a EP2 effect or any other effect it doesn't show up.

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
Hmm is there anyway to get NON TF2 particle effects into the map?
nope, none. You could use a .res file to force the client to download it but its not likely to happen and it would only work after the fist time they played the map, and then on top of that you'd have to overwrite the particles_manifest file and doing that might screw up any experiments that person was doing with particles or if another mapper had done the same.
Because there really is no small flame effects that i know of, and if i use a EP2 effect or any other effect it doesn't show up.
Try finding out what the pyro's flamethrower effect is called I've heard that looks good. And no, you can't use ones from EP2 because thats against valves EULA

Spike

L10: Glamorous Member
Feb 13, 2008
prop_detail doesn't work in TF2, you'll have to use static or dynamic instead

you can use info_particle_system to get the particles, you'll need to know the name of the particle you want to use and simply put the name into the keyvalue, set it to start on and it will work.

However you can't use custom particles or any particle that isn't already in TF2 since you can't zip them into the map successfully.

You can't???

I've heard people saying you can using pakrat. At least custom particles works on my map but only because I've modified my own particle manifest. So even using pakrat you won't be able to do it?

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
You can't???

I've heard people saying you can using pakrat. At least custom particles works on my map but only because I've modified my own particle manifest. So even using pakrat you won't be able to do it?

nope, just like with the new menu photos they're cached before the map is loaded so even if its in the bsp it wont load it.

DucatiBon

Jan 28, 2009
nope, none. You could use a .res file to force the client to download it but its not likely to happen and it would only work after the fist time they played the map, and then on top of that you'd have to overwrite the particles_manifest file and doing that might screw up any experiments that person was doing with particles or if another mapper had done the same.
Try finding out what the pyro's flamethrower effect is called I've heard that looks good. And no, you can't use ones from EP2 because thats against valves EULA

The Pyro's flame thrower effect is Gigantic, I need it for a small torch on the side of a street.
and it apears that env_fire doesnt work in TF2 either so i think im SOL

Spike

L10: Glamorous Member
Feb 13, 2008
Maybe there is any way to throw a command to the console so it reloads the particle manifest

If not, this has to go to the next letter to Valve with an angry face at the beggining

DucatiBon

Jan 28, 2009
so anyone know any other way i can get a flame for a torch or candle....
since the particle effects idea's not going to work....

DucatiBon

Jan 28, 2009
Edit: oops Double post didn't realize it went to a second page and i didn't see my last comment

TotalMark

L6: Sharp Member
Feb 13, 2008
You could try a small flame env_sprite on the torch model, along with a light set up to look like fire.

The lanterns in some maps have light entities set up like that.

Then if you wanted smoke, there are some skybox particles already in the game small enough for that job.

EDIT:
dev_fire0001.jpg

VMF and BSP for dev_fire: http://forums.tf2maps.net/downloads.php?do=file&id=971

Last edited: