Parenting?

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by SV_CHEATS 1, May 1, 2012.

1. SV_CHEATS 1

SV_CHEATS 1 L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Is there anyway to make parented props visible?

Last edited: May 3, 2012
  2. Admiral Obvious

Admiral Obvious L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    As far as i'm aware, you cant tie entites to players. For question 3, you need to set inputs and outputs that make the child killed but not the parent, im no good with those so ask someone else about inputs and outputs.

Last edited: May 2, 2012
  3. A Boojum Snark

aa A Boojum Snark Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado

Positive Ratings:
    1. You appear to be doing things correctly, you'd just have to set the prop's angles such they it is oriented the way you want. There is no "correct" way to attach as far as the game is concerned.

2. I'm not sure, last time I tried it worked like that, but I remember Valve changed something in the behavior of objects parented to players so I guess it doesn't work anymore. They did however add some custom model input for use in prophunt, but I forget it off the top of my head. Do an "ent_info player" in the console to see a list of inputs/outputs, and it should be obvious which it is. Give that a try if you are attempting to "replace" the player model like prophunt does.

3. Not really, unless you give the player a single-fire output at the same time the prop is attached, so that you "know" which prop it is. But if you know, you could just handle it directly with the prop.

4. SV_CHEATS 1

Positive Ratings:
    Is there a command to get the current angles of an entity?

5. LeSwordfish

aa LeSwordfish semi-trained quasi-professional

Positive Ratings:
    This is about the only situation i've ever seen when people in years to come finding this searching for an answer will find said answer but not what the question was.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. A Boojum Snark

Positive Ratings:
    ent_dump <entity name> will list all the keys the entity currently has set that are non-default. If angles isn't shown that means they are 0 0 0.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. SV_CHEATS 1

Positive Ratings:
    so is there a way to either get the angle in which an attachment makes the prop take, or attach something to the base of the player?

8. A Boojum Snark

Positive Ratings:
    As I said before, there is no "correct" way to attach. The attachment orientation is as defined by it's placement in the model. The only possible way you could find it would involve decompiling the model and maybe mathing it out. What you should be doing is just adjusting the angles manually via inputs in-game until you get what looks right.

9. SV_CHEATS 1

Positive Ratings:
    K thanks. Also, when I parent attach something to me it seems to turn invisible. Why and how do I stop this? it is hard to do it manually if I cant see the prop. I have to constantly keep clearing the parent and starting over. I am not doing anything to make it invisible but every time I parent anything to myself it turns invisible. Thanks.

10. A Boojum Snark

Positive Ratings:
    I believe that is part of the aforementioned changes valve made to parenting to players.

11. SV_CHEATS 1

Positive Ratings:
    Is there anyway to fix it to make it visible?

12. A Boojum Snark

Positive Ratings:
    Not that I am aware of, I haven't had to work with that stuff since they made the change though.