Parachute - A possible gamemode.

• If you're asking a question make sure to set the thread type to be a question!

SharkmanBriton

L1: Registered
Dec 29, 2015
Hello, I'm a person who loves going Parasolly, if you don't know what that is, it's basically going on servers with friendly mode and parachuting off of tall buildings to locations around the map, currently, there's only one map we can Parasolly on effectively, and that is trade_bigcity_s.
So I've been getting into mapping recently (I'm pretty rubbish at it and have never been able to cling onto an idea.) so I was thinking about making a few maps specifically designed for parachuting, with really high skyboxes, high points and a huge area to explore.
The idea of this gamemode would be pretty peaceful, I was thinking of having it be one team, and on the spawn point there'd be 32 intel's stacked on top of eachother, as soon as an intel is dropped it respawns. There would be a BLU intel at every special location on the map and a plugin would track how many times you have bought the intel to that area and capped. Or I might scrap the plugin ctf idea and have it have no objective other than to fly around.
So I wanted to ask all of you what would be a good way to make a parachute map? Like how tall of a skybox is ideal, how big the map in it's entirety should be and a good setting for this (I was thinking having a spawn point in a plane and having the rest of the map be mountains, but maybe I could do an urban theme, I'm very open to ideas.) and finally, what everybody thinks of my idea.
Thanks for reading!

Luigi1000

L2: Junior Member
Dec 12, 2015
A few things to think about:
1) Instead of using a plugin to count amount of times capped, why not use a point_servercommand to change the CTF play to limit on the server?
2) If you do make something that high, keep in mind you all extremely slowly. You may want to have trigger_hurt's quite higher up to kill people who clearly missed the next building/buildings instead of letting them fall slowly to their death or find a way to cheap it to a lower building further away by gliding.
3) The height all depends on how big you plan to make the map, that's something I believe you my have to find out as you make it.

JMaxchill

L5: Dapper Member
Jan 21, 2015
Amount of times capped can be done from the map, either by editing the gamerules or using a math_counter, not sure which

MoonFox

L10: Glamorous Member
Mar 17, 2015
a good example of this is in Blacklight: Retribution (minus the gliding) on the map highrise (I forget). basically you slip off the platform, you die a meter down, and it says "They thought they could fly".
Get the main level built, and build the skybox to fit on top of it with a 1:10 scale

SharkmanBriton

L1: Registered
Dec 29, 2015
a good example of this is in Blacklight: Retribution (minus the gliding) on the map highrise (I forget). basically you slip off the platform, you die a meter down, and it says "They thought they could fly".
Get the main level built, and build the skybox to fit on top of it with a 1:10 scale
Hmm... Sounds good, but I wanted to stick to the trade_bigcity feel as much as it is practical, so I was thinking of having the map split into two, the ground area would be for fighting, and the high area for parachuting... Oh and I'm very new to mapping and I have no idea what "build the skybox to fit on top of it with a 1:10 scale" means or how to pull it off... Thanks for the ideas.

MoonFox

L10: Glamorous Member
Mar 17, 2015
I forget the specific zoom (should check the dev wiki), but when you sky camera, the room created to house sky camera (which is what you'll see outside the map in a 3d skybox) is going to have to line up perfectly with how it is in the actual playing field is set up, you will need to scale down the building you wont be able to fight on, and the surrounding area.