PakRat problem (+corrupt .BSP?)

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by neophyte78, Dec 26, 2012.

1. neophyte78

neophyte78 L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Good day people at TF2Maps.net.
    I ran into some problems and decided to ask for your help, I apologise if it's in the wrong section or if it's been answered before but I couldn't find it.

Lets get straight to the point shall we...

I recently made a map with one custom texture in it.
    Now, when I tried to PakRat it, it didn't work.
    When I open PakRat and select my map, nothing happens.
    Normally a window would pop up where I could add my textures.
    It works fine with any other map except mine.
    Instead of a window popping up, it just writes some output, it always does this regardless of which map.

PakRat Log:
    I have no idea why it doesn't work.
    I tried to recompile, copy everything into a new map file, PackBSP, looking for errors in the compile log. (I used Interlopers' Error Checker).

I can't find what's wrong...
    I hope I'm just really stupid and missed something crucial but I strongly doubt it.
    I tried pretty much everything.

Here's the compile log in case it helps.

Compile Log:
    I am aware that this is a HDR skybox and that HDR isn't enabled though I know for a fact that this isn't the cause and have not experienced any problems with it.

Help would be appreciated.
    Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2012
  2. The Asylum

aa The Asylum

Positive Ratings:
    I've had Pakrat act up on me too a few times. Does your map have an env_cubemap in it? If it does, build the cubemaps before trying to pak stuff in

3. neophyte78

Positive Ratings:
    It doesn't have cubemaps.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2012
  4. GPuzzle

GPuzzle L9: Fashionable Member

Positive Ratings:
    Well, that was a good english writing -WAIT A SECOND.

5. neophyte78

Positive Ratings:
    There's nothing wrong with it. It's just not 100% correct in this situation, take your unhelpfull comments elsewhere. Thanks.

6. GPuzzle

Positive Ratings:
    Honestly, there is a difference between saying (or writing) stuff correctly and being over-corrective.
    I think doing such a naive mistake such as "don't" instead as "doesn't" is not only incorrect, it is also gross.
    That's just my opinion, but if I prefer to have my verbs written correctly and if that makes me unhelpful, then I am incredibly unhelpful.

7. neophyte78

Positive Ratings:
    FYI, I wanted to type "I don't have cubemaps", but made a typing error and wrote "it".

Though if you do get grossed out by typing mistakes of people with English as their second language then what are you even doing on the internet?
    Here's a tip: Unplug your internet cable and NEVER, EVER plug it in again.

There.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. Seba

aa Seba DR. BIG FUCKER, PHD

Positive Ratings:
    Gpuzzle, please don't respond that way to anyone ever. Most of us have been here long enough to learn to ignore your rude comments, but new members like neophyte are more likely to just get offended, annoyed, and leave the site thinking that we're all assholes like you. Pointing out someone's bad grammar is not this thread's top priority.

Neophyte, does PakRat work on other maps? It not opening may be an error with the program, not the map. If it does turn out to be the map's fault, you can always try PackBSP, a tool made by one of our members to zip maps more quickly and efficiently. From my own experience PackBSP is much better than PakRat, although it's the other way around for some. Try it and report back.

9. neophyte78

Positive Ratings:
    PakRat works fine with other maps, but for mine the window just doesn't pop up.

I tried PackBSP, it finds my Steam directory, I select my map, I hit next, I hit run dependedencies.
    Then a message pops up saying: "Crawling..." This doesn't complete.

10. GPuzzle

Positive Ratings:
    Oh. Sorry for my rude comments and all that crap, but I can't stand grammatical errors. I have been trying to correct that for a long time (LONG TIME, really). But I just can't change. That's one of the things I hate about me. Damnit.
    Anyway, I'll try to be more nice for now, or just try to reduce the rude comments.

But neophyte, English is not my second language, actually third (Spanish is second, first is Portuguese), and honestly, I think is kind of annoying to me (but that's just me) to see small gramatical errors like that (some can be justified - fast typing, loss of concetrantion, mistyping).

Sorry anyway for all the rude I have been and maybe I'll be, but I'll try to be less rude from now on.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. tyler

aa tyler snail prince, master of a ruined tower

Positive Ratings:
    Try putting a cubemap in your map, building cubemaps in game, and packing.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. fubarFX

aa fubarFX The "raw" in "nodraw"

Positive Ratings:
    when pakrat and packbsp won't work, get vide!
    http://www.riintouge.com/VIDE/

it's much better than other tools in my opinion. but no one uses it :\
    I have no idea if it's actually going to help you tho

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  13. neophyte78

Positive Ratings:
    I've added a cubemap, now it works.
    Thanks TF2Maps.