Packing custom props/textures "into" .bsp ?

REEJ

L420: High Member
Aug 26, 2010
A thing I'm trying to figure out is:
How exactly do I include custom props/textures with my map file?

Should I just include them with bsp and all the root folders in a ZIP/RAR file?
(will that give the instruction to steam peers on what to download?)

Also,
I've seen a sentence "...packing into .bsp" a few times around which sounds quite mysteriously, and didn't find any tutorial on that :facepalm:

Terr

Cranky Coder
aa
Jul 31, 2009
Packing into the BSP requires a special program, because it actually modifies the BSP file by pushing the data into a special section of it. You cannot use tools like Winzip or 7-zip.

The "official" way is called bspzip.exe, which comes with Source SDK and Hammer. The only problem is that it is a command-line program, and it requires you to manually list every single file you want to insert.

Most people use other utilities that can help you deal with large amount of custom content.
  • PackBsp (I'm biased, I wrote it recently)
  • Pakrat (discontinued in 2006, works a bit differently)
  • Map Analyst (don't know much about this one)

http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Packbsp

Last edited:

REEJ

L420: High Member
Aug 26, 2010
Packing into the BSP requires a custom program. Source SDK comes with a very simple one called bspzip.exe, however it requires you to manually list every file you want to insert.

Other utilities exist which can help you deal with large amount of custom content.
  • PackBsp (I'm biased, I wrote it)
  • Pakrat (much older project)
  • Map Analyst (don't know much about this one)

http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Packbsp

Terrific!

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
I havn't had any problems with pakrat though some people complain its auto find feature is lacking consistency. But as long as you know what items you need to include and where to find them you should be able to pack all your content without complication.

Terr

Cranky Coder
aa
Jul 31, 2009
And whatever tool you use, giving your map a final test to make sure everything looks right before release is very important.

To test that everything packed correctly, you need to make it so that the files are no longer available in the normal folders, so that if your custom brick texture shows up, you know it's coming from the BSP and not somewhere else.

One way to do this is
  • Rename your "tf" folder to something like "tf-normal". For example, on my machine, that would be in:
    Code:
    c:\program files\steam\steamapps\Team Fortress 2\[b]tf[/b]
  • Starting TF2 will re-create the "tf" folder, this time with only default stuff in it. (No custom content, custom maps, screenshots, settings, etc.)
  • Copy your map from "tf-normal/maps/foo.bsp" to "tf/maps/foo.bsp" folder, so that you can load it up.
  • Start TF2 and run around to make sure your map looks right.
  • After testing, rename the "tf" folder into "tf-testing", and swap the "tf-normal" folder back to its original name. This way you have all your normal settings and files back in place.

Last edited:

Rexy

The Kwisatz Haderach
aa
Dec 22, 2008
Hey that's a great idea Terr, haha, previously I had been moving my folders to the desktop...I'm a real genius, that's for sure. I'll be renaming my folders from now on instead.

XFunc_CaRteR

L5: Dapper Member
May 14, 2009
And whatever tool you use, giving your map a final test to make sure everything looks right before release is very important.

To test that everything packed correctly, you need to make it so that the files are no longer available in the normal folders, so that if your custom brick texture shows up, you know it's coming from the BSP and not somewhere else.

One way to do this is
  • Rename your "tf" folder to something like "tf-normal". For example, on my machine, that would be in:
    Code:
    c:\program files\steam\steamapps\Team Fortress 2\[b]tf[/b]
  • Starting TF2 will re-create the "tf" folder, this time with only default stuff in it. (No custom content, custom maps, screenshots, settings, etc.)
  • Copy your map from "tf-normal/maps/foo.bsp" to "tf/maps/foo.bsp" folder, so that you can load it up.
  • Start TF2 and run around to make sure your map looks right.
  • After testing, rename the "tf" folder into "tf-testing", and swap the "tf-normal" folder back to its original name. This way you have all your normal settings and files back in place.

I packed my content using both Pakrat and PackBSP - made explicitly certain that the models were in the bsp - then tried your technique here and they didn't show up in-game.

For Artpass I just included a zipped up folder, just to meet the deadline.

Are you allowed to have custom folders inside custom content? My custom models that aren't appearing are inside a "models/artpass" folder.

Last edited:

Draco18s

L9: Fashionable Member
Sep 19, 2009
I packed my content using both Pakrat and PackBSP - made explicitly certain that the models were in the bsp - then tried your technique here and they didn't show up in-game.

I did something similar to that and had some textures show up as fullbright (OH GOD, MY EYES) and an almost complete lack of any props what so ever.

XFunc_CaRteR

L5: Dapper Member
May 14, 2009
It's a .qc file issue I think. I had NO idea that this needed to be done as well.

The amount of esoteric steps that need to be taken to work with Source is really leaving a bad taste in my mouth. With the amount of money Valve makes, you'd think they could build simple, user-friendly tools that automate these under-the-hood steps.

Last edited:

Terr

Cranky Coder
aa
Jul 31, 2009
What does GCFScape show you about those folders in the BSP?

Draco18s

L9: Fashionable Member
Sep 19, 2009
The amount of esoteric steps that need to be taken to work with Source is really leaving a bad taste in my mouth. With the amount of money Valve makes, you'd think they could build simple, user-friendly tools that automate these under-the-hood steps.

Be thankful we have the tools we have at all. Hammer is amazingly well built as it is. We're working with (almost) the same tools Valve does, and the reason hammer doesn't auto-pack the textures and models is because they're assumed to be packed else where (the gfc files) because Valve maps shouldn't NEED to pack those assets.