Packing a map with Compile pal

maxkm5st1

L1: Registered
Aug 24, 2016
Sorry for the noob question but after searching the forms I cant seem to find what I am doing wrong. I select the .vmf and choose the options Full - Both, and PACK, however after a private test I find out that all the Frontline assets I used didn't carry over. Am I missing something obvious? Thanks!

Another Bad Pun

In the shadows, he saw four eyes lit by fire
aa
Jan 15, 2011
Instead of selecting the .vmf you need to select the .bsp file that is created on compile in your tf/maps folder.

I Darkstar X

L3: Member
Oct 19, 2017
So you compile twice, is what you're saying.

Step 1: compile vmf WITHOUT Pack option (or anything that gets packed) enabled.

Step 2: compile .bsp WITH Pack option (or anything that gets packed) enabled.

Xbmann

aa
Jul 8, 2019
Compilepal does not take bsp files as a parameter, it always takes the vmf and figures out the location of the bsp based on the game path. If your map file is already compiled and you just want to pack it with compilepal you need to select the vmf and only check the pack option:

Capture.PNG

As for the missing assets you can get a list of all the assets being packed into the map with -verbose or -dryrun packing parameters. The packing tool can miss stuff sometimes so you might have to use it alongside something like pakrat or vide.

I Darkstar X

L3: Member
Oct 19, 2017
Compilepal does not take bsp files as a parameter, it always takes the vmf and figures out the location of the bsp based on the game path. If your map file is already compiled and you just want to pack it with compilepal you need to select the vmf and only check the pack option:

Capture.PNG

As for the missing assets you can get a list of all the assets being packed into the map with -verbose or -dryrun packing parameters. The packing tool can miss stuff sometimes so you might have to use it alongside something like pakrat or vide.
Thanks for the assist!