Packing a map.cfg into the .bsp?

Axl

L1: Registered
Dec 14, 2007
So I made a map that requires there to be 5 flag captures per round. (tf_flag_caps_per_round "5")

Servers automatically default to 3. I used to use a point_servercommand in the map to make this change but valve recently turned that entity off by default. So is it possible to pack a map.cfg into the BSP? Is there another way of changing flag cap limit that I'm not aware of?

It seems like bad form having to use either of those routes, but as far as I know there's no other way to change the default.

Izotope

Sourcerer
aa
May 13, 2013
If you have a server and want to host your map, you can enable servercommands.
And you can pack any config files just like any other custom asset, with a lump-pak-file thingie,
like pakrat or VIDE or packBSP or whatever the names are. pakrat masterrace

Axl

Dec 14, 2007
Thanks but yeah I have my own server and I'm aware of how to configure things locally. The map I'm referring to is going to be released publicly so I need to figure out what I can to do to make it run consistently on other servers that I don't have control of. I don't normally release my maps publicly because of this issue. For some reason I like designing maps around source mod plug-ins and non-default server variables. :eek:

edit: okay I went ahead and packed my maps config file into the BSP. Path was cfg/mapname.cfg.

Tested it on a dedicated server and a listen server and the flag capture variable is not changing. It doesn't seem to be getting executed. hmmm

Last edited:

Zed

Certified Most Crunk™
aa
Aug 7, 2014
Most servers running custom maps are going to be using point_servercommand 1 anyways so I don't see why you'd have anything to worry about.

Axl

Dec 14, 2007
Most servers running custom maps are going to be using point_servercommand 1 anyways so I don't see why you'd have anything to worry about.

Yeah good point.

T

The Asylum

Possible or not, it's an unethical practice IMO, especially since some config commands can carry over to other maps if the server cfg isn't properly configured

Axl

Dec 14, 2007
Possible or not, it's an unethical practice IMO, especially since some config commands can carry over to other maps if the server cfg isn't properly configured

Yeah I'm with you. It's unfortunate that a change like this has to be done through server commands. Makes me long for the old TFC goal entities.