Overlays appearing black?

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by DrHaphazard, Feb 21, 2008.

1. DrHaphazard

DrHaphazard L5: Dapper Member

Positive Ratings:
    Quick question that might have a simple answer. My overlays are currently showing up black. I have not yet put lighting into my map, is this the cause of the black overlays? Doesn't seem to make much sense to me, but figured that might be the case.

And no, no leaks in the level, checked that already.

2. Doran

Doran L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Could it be something to do with the texture it's overlayed on? Prop texture perhaps?

3. ZargonX

ZargonX L3: Member

Positive Ratings:
    Doran, are you doran from Project TS?

4. Doran

Doran L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    You're the tenth person to ask me this on forums/in games -- no. Doran is my surname.

I am the 'Paine' from OiNK though ;)

5. DrHaphazard

Positive Ratings:
    A good point about the prop texture, and one was that, but i have overlays all over the place and none are working.

For example i got overlays on concrete/concretewall002e, brick/brickwall004, those textures should be fine for this right?

Last edited: Feb 21, 2008
  6. vegit0r

vegit0r L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    if you dont have cubemaps it might not show up, (or env_light i think to)

7. Sacrifist

Sacrifist L3: Member

Positive Ratings:
    Actually Im having the same issues in a way. All my overlays are flickering black and acting strange. This basically began after the last TF2 update. Its very annoying.

8. DrHaphazard

Positive Ratings:
    Well I just learned about the Alt+P function that finds all the problems in your map.

Apparently all the overlays had errors saying something about an angle being bad. Didnt quite understand the error, but it said i could click to Fix so i did. Trying to compile now to see if theres any difference.

9. DrHaphazard

Positive Ratings:
    Yeah i just did a simple test with a room and an overlay and no light, overlay is black.

Add a light entity and the overlay works. So just need to add a light, no cubemap necessary.

10. spaceweasels

aa spaceweasels

Positive Ratings:
    Actually those overlay errors don't mean anything.

If this is a custom overlay texture, I would suggest you check the alpha channel. If the alpha channel isn't set right, the overlay may appear all black.

11. DrHaphazard

Positive Ratings:
    No they're just standard overlays. Like i said above, i am virtually certain its just because i have not lit the map yet. A simple test seemed to confrim that suspicion.

12. YM

aa YM LVL100 YM

Positive Ratings:
    I've heard of this problem before, one thing that was constantly bounced around was that the map was unlit. unfortunatly the person who had the problem never posted once they fixed it.