Overlay texture not visible ingame

Acumen

Annoyer
aa
Jun 11, 2009
Oke, like i wrote in my thread over here:
[ame="http://forums.tf2maps.net/showthread.php?p=115426#post115426"]Model Map Holder - Customizable ! - Page 4 - TF2Maps.net[/ame]

i'm having troubles recreating what these guys try to teach me :/
here's what i want to achieve:
a (overlay texture) on an invisible wall that i can put in front of my model so it seems that the overlay texture is on the model. here's my tries:

first try:
create brush, convert to func_illusionary applied overlay texture to the func_illu. while it looks perfectly fine in the editor ingame it disappeared. same when converting to func_brush and check "don't render" --> ingame not visible

second try:
chose one of the signs (sign115b) which i thought would have transparent background. also tried one of the overlays (blue_logo_sign), but as soon as i apply this texture to one of the faces it gets transparent/seethrough and ingame there's nothing to see, neither. converted these constructions to func_illusionary as well --> ingame not visible

third try:
make brush with wall-texture, convert to func_illusionary and apply overlay texture to it --> ingame not visible

applying the same overlay texture to a normal brushed wall works perfectly fine ingame. i just can't get this to work properly with the func_illusionary trick.

so can anyone help me out on this ? maybe upload hammer file with a working construction even ? i'm kind of lost on this mapping highway right now :(

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
forget overlays , dont use them. at all.

Transparent texture on a func_brush set to not solid perhaps?

Dr. ROCKZO

L8: Fancy Shmancy Member
Jul 25, 2009
I'm guessing this is for that map board model right? Is your Map full bright? Apparently Overlays don't show up on Full Bright. But yes, what Youme said, generally, you should go with his solution.

Acumen

Annoyer
aa
Jun 11, 2009
oke, i really wonder if these methods worked for the guys that suggested them. because just when i think about it. i create a func_illusionary or a func_brush with "don't render". how's it (or only one side) supposed to be visible if i set the entire brush to not visible ? i guess i don't have to wonder if nothing shows up (neither brush nor overlay)

and the normal overlays i put on the walls work just fine all around, so it can't be fullbright, i guess

and on top of that, the only really transparent texture i found working were from hl2 with the "{" in front of it.
that worked out ingame.
i'm really lost guys, you all have very profound mapping knowledge and explain these methods to me sounding like it should work or already worked in the past. what is my key error there ?
like i said, choosing halflife/{grate2 as a transparent texture and applying it to the brush worked, i picked nodraw for every other side and tada works ingame. but all the other methods don't have a single working results :(

Last edited:

Fraz

Blu Hatte, Greyscale Backdrop.
aa
Dec 28, 2008
You need the texture to be transparent... the bits that aren't seen anyway.
You then apply that texture to one face of a brush, with the rest of the faces nodraw'd
Then make it a func_illusionary or whatever.
No need for overlays, and if I am right, no need to set things to "dont render"

(Note, I haven't ever done this, I'm just rewording what other people are saying. you might be overcomplicating this.)

Acumen

Annoyer
aa
Jun 11, 2009
well i assumed that all the signs and overlays have transparency in them. and on normal brushes these work fine. i also did the nodraw step and converted to func_illusionary but it's not visible ingame.

with my own created texture with transparency it works however, so i think i got that one solved now.

but when the texture is moved within the model's bounding box it turns black :(
how can i get rid of that ?

Fraz

Blu Hatte, Greyscale Backdrop.
aa
Dec 28, 2008
The blackness, I dunno, might be a lighting problem, so the texture "thinks" the prop is casting a shadow on it?

Acumen

Annoyer
aa
Jun 11, 2009
the model casting thing didn't look too good on the mapholder but i got it ingame now ! thanks to all of you guys helping me out on this - i know why i stick with modeling and don't pretend to map !

you can view a func_illusionary with the temporary map texture floating just above the model without being black and on top of that i made a barbershop chair out of frustration :D

actually it was meant to be a spytech chair, but i need to get some wheely legs so it fits better :D

map_holder_ingame3.jpg