KotH Overflow

SSX

aa
Feb 2, 2014
The map is a new twist on an older map of mine called arena_outflow, I decided I'd revive the project, but put an entirely new twist on the map by making it larger, less dreary, and more space to run around in around mid.

Last edited:

puxorb

L69: Emoticon
aa
Dec 15, 2013
I have some feedback for you:

First off, wow. This map is very pretty. I love that you used the glass texture that everyone stays away from and managed to make it look good at the same time. Bravo.

Second, not much is clipped on this map. I know this is an alpha but clipping is still super important. Stairs at the current moment can halt movement from jumping or rocket jumping, and the camera bobbing while walking up is annoying.

Third, I'm not sure everything was packed correctly:
8ABE4E45E73AC2EBBD800A09915F0243100D72BF

Fourth:
18BE10A38C35A9B62C8B409BE9D04C765B485B22

This is a bad idea. You should try to use less lights, but increase their brightness. You have too many light entities for this room. Delete most and only leave a couple, and increase the brightness by doing this:

Change the default brightness from [255 255 255 200] to [255 255 255 800]. You can experiment with other values like 500, 600, 700, etc. I would also recommend experimenting with some light_spot entities. (You can also increase their intensity with the same value changes)

SSX

aa
Feb 2, 2014
If you played overflow and were slightly annoyed with the mid, here's the new mid:

b4Q7H9F.jpg

rLx5Q2O.jpg

1KY2CKI.jpg

Other changes are there are now patches underneath the pickups. (Team color for ammo, white for health), a skill jump has been added in two spaces near the point on both sides for heavies, pyros, and other classes.

SSX

aa
Feb 2, 2014
A2 update is live!

a2:
-Cover added to point
-New building positions near point for sentry's (With anti-sentry grenade holes)
-New Skill jump positions on two sides of the point.
-Patches added under ammo/health drops (White for Health, Team Color for Ammo)
-Areaportals modified near road doors
-Lighting adjusted in buildings (Not spawns) for better sight on enemies.
-Waterfall Texture Changed

Vel0city

func_fish
aa
Dec 6, 2014
I know it's purely cosmetic, but the current water texture is just ugly. I never understood why Valve made that water texture, seeing how Hydro and Well were two of the official maps that came with TF2 when it was released yet Hydro got an ugly texture (the one you're using) and Well got cubemapped water with refractions. Please use that, or water_2fort_expensive/water_well_expensive which adds real-time reflections.

I should also add a gameplay related thing: the cliff area looks useless. No health or ammo on it, and the only way to get to it is to either fall down off of the ledge or use the doors. Use the building in the middle as a central staircase to it and add health and/or ammo there so that the cliff path won't look like a narrow path to nothingness. Oh and I have 2 big error signs which means custom content isn't packed. It's the van which has its rear end parked against a big crate.

EDIT Picture time:

317DE70AC81135E478A40E1819B01A6DCA557D9E

Holy guacamole that sightline. cp_orange_x3 would be proud.

CDEC906DC5C45B4980E5827BA87494D67C731CC9

The missing van model.

D0AF6D4E097E9164D45CF9A0BAC16483E92C329E

Areaportal is preventing the doorframe from rendering when the door's closed. On RED's side it's even more noticeable, the areaportal is closing too quickly making the whole hallway invisible while the door's still closing.

Last edited:

SSX

aa
Feb 2, 2014
In order of your post.

1. Water will be changed in later updates, just keeping it simple for now.

2. Thank you, I will be releasing an a2b tomorrow with this change. I wanted to see if anyone else agreed with me on putting a staircase there.

3. Sightline is intentional, but I will keep my eye on it.

4. I hate areaportals...

SSX

aa
Feb 2, 2014
A2B is live!

a2b:
-New Staircase connecting the cliff with the upper area near the point.
-Medium health kit added to this area.
-Adjustment on the metal slide doors on the road for the areaportals
-Fixed a middle ammo path.
-Everything should be packed now.

SSX

aa
Feb 2, 2014
A3 is live!

a3:
-Detailing around mid and cliff area.
-Rerouted area near large health kit with new building to hold it in.
-Environment lighting reduced by 200.
-Clipping done.
-Optimization attempted, hopefully will fix some of the issues.
-Areaportal adjustment.
-Fixed patch position under a red ammo pickup.
-Added a fence to reduce a sightline.

SSX

aa
Feb 2, 2014
A4 is now live!

a4:
-Optimization
-Clipping
-Added ammo near the small health kits outside
-Redid the garage route area
-Hall is now much smaller, and provides a sniper protection on both sides.
-Full health kit has been changed into medium sized kit.
-Removed rocks near point in exchange for stairs.
-Reduced cap time.

SSX

aa
Feb 2, 2014
Sneak peek at b1's garage areas:
pPFUTdz.jpg

vXFgXuE.jpg

Last edited:

SSX

aa
Feb 2, 2014
Updated to b1!

b1:
-Optimization
-Clipping on some doorways
-Mainly in the warehouse areas
-Detailing
-Exterior Detailing
-Walls detailed around the main warehouse areas.
-Interior Detailing
-Tightened level layout a little with new areas.
-Brighter interior lighting
-Higher Skybox
-Clipping around the room layouts.