Ouside environments

omghazard

L1: Registered
Jun 25, 2009
Hi everybody!

I have a big problem, i cant make outside environments! :blushing:
Could anybody link me to a good tutorial on this?
Also when i make a building and make the outside, i cant really make the building look like a building, it just looks like a shitty box! :(

I've already read the cliff tutorial by Youme, but it ends up like crap for me.

Thanks in advance.

BTW, I just joined.

TracerDX

L3: Member
Jun 9, 2009
Well, I cannot say I know of a specific tutorial for that problem, but I can say that it involves:

Displacements, a light_environment tuned to the selected sky wrapped in a skybox, with no leaks, of course.

Remember that displacements don't "seal" leaks, you should put toolsnodraw textured brushes below/behind them.

With that basic information, you should have more success with various technique articles involving displacements (like the one you mentioned).

omghazard

Jun 25, 2009
Thanks, but i already know about 2d/3d Skies, light_environment, and leaks.
For example, i make my respawn room but then i cant really "connect" or make it look good outside.
It just ends up like a box X.X

(-TN-) Ben2

L4: Comfortable Member
Apr 10, 2009
you just need to practice, play other peoples maps, then try making them or maps that are similiar, for example, if you see a room u like in someone's map, open ahmmer and try to make a room that looks the same, you need practive detailing before you can make beautiful enviroments

omghazard

Jun 25, 2009
you just need to practice, play other peoples maps, then try making them or maps that are similiar, for example, if you see a room u like in someone's map, open ahmmer and try to make a room that looks the same, you need practive detailing before you can make beautiful enviroments
Thanks i'll do that right away! :D

Last edited:

TracerDX

Jun 9, 2009
Well, now that I know where you're at, I can provide more helpful information.

The rules of displacements need to be understood to really make amazing things with them.

First some visual examples. I have tried to select every other displacement to make it so you can see each one...

What you want would probably look something like this:
Disp3-1.png

(Without the Displacement Geometry):
Disp3-2.png

And here's an example of a cave:
Disp2-1.png

(Without the Displacement Geometry):
Disp2-2.png

Another "Entrance Hole":
Disp1.png

So basically, with a little imagination and the Vertex tool, you can create any holes and shapes out the displacements that you need before you even start to edit the points in them.

The rules are simple. The displacements must share an edge, exactly, if you want them to "sew" correctly. The displacement faces must be 4 sided, but need not be square or rectangular. Any 4 sided poly will do.

You can also sew one edge that is exactly 1/2 of the length of another edge to join smaller displacements to bigger ones.

Hopefully this sheds a little light on your dilemma.

Edit: Oops, posted the wrong image in one.

Last edited:

omghazard

Jun 25, 2009
What about the building problem?

TracerDX

Jun 9, 2009
Make your displacements around the building, with the holes needed as described by the rules above. They are the only rules and if you plan it out, it shouldn't be a problem. It takes a little practice, but you will get the hang of how they work pretty quickly I think. You just need to drudge through it.

Scruga

Dec 8, 2008
If making natural tunnels like in dustbowl, it's a good idea to put wooden supports at the ends/sharp edges of the tunnel. It looks stylish and makes it look more natural because there are not very much sudden sharp turns.

omghazard

Jun 25, 2009
The problem is not the displacements.
For example, i can easily make the inside of a building but i cant really make it look good when i put the room "outside" since i don't really know howto make buildings.

Screeny:
editord.jpg

omghazard

Jun 25, 2009
^ Look up ^

Browser fucked up sowwy :(

Last edited:

Vigilante212

L420: High Member
Dec 21, 2008
Depending on the theme to a map I go on google and look up buildinging. For exp my current map uses old mining type building which fit perfectly with TF2. So im going to use those as templates for my designs. Another thing to note. Any geometry that doesnt block visibility to a different section of map should be turned into func detail, group all secions of a building together befor doing this though.

Sgt Frag

L14: Epic Member
May 20, 2008
In your pic above really all you have done is make a box.

Does your house look like that. Nope, it probably has a triangle on top for a roof. Of course new houses aren't the best description for tf2 buidlings, but they have the same general principles.

Then look at tf2 buildings. None are that complex. But they all have trim, wood beams on the outside to support them, that adds alot of character.
Then you can place objects like smokestacks (chimneys), a garden house hanging on the outside, etc...
It just takes time, build the basics like you have them keep adding to them.

In your cliff pic again you have the base, but haven't done anything to embelish it. Once you turn the brushes into displacements you have to 'paint the geometry' so it's rough. No cliffs are square and boxy, they have shapes, dips, rises, etc... Once you paint it some it will look alot more natural.

omghazard

Jun 25, 2009
In your pic above really all you have done is make a box.

Does your house look like that. Nope, it probably has a triangle on top for a roof. Of course new houses aren't the best description for tf2 buidlings, but they have the same general principles.

Then look at tf2 buildings. None are that complex. But they all have trim, wood beams on the outside to support them, that adds alot of character.
Then you can place objects like smokestacks (chimneys), a garden house hanging on the outside, etc...
It just takes time, build the basics like you have them keep adding to them.

In your cliff pic again you have the base, but haven't done anything to embelish it. Once you turn the brushes into displacements you have to 'paint the geometry' so it's rough. No cliffs are square and boxy, they have shapes, dips, rises, etc... Once you paint it some it will look alot more natural.

In the first pic i didnt "noise" the cliffs at all if thats what you mean, i used paint geometry.