Oubliette

Crash

func_nerd
aa
Mar 1, 2010
Oubliette noun: a dungeon with an opening only at the top

Etymology: French, from Middle French, from oublier to forget.

The rough story I have in mind is that Red and Blu were peacefully working together in the secret underground spy base made to look like a mining facility. After an earthquake, their only way out collapsed, and their corporations soon forgot they even existed. Red and Blu's supplies soon began to dwindle, and the hoarding began.

The goal of the game is to fight over the vital supplies in each room, and ultimately wipe out the opposing team.

Who will be the last standing? Who will survive another day? Who will capture the vital break room coffee machine!?

Features:
5 control points to fight over (granary style)
Forward spawns after capping 2nd to last point.
One way doors leading to the overhead walkway.

My second attempt at creating a decently playable map. I'm still relatively new to mapping, but I've learned quite a bit. This is actually the second try at the same map concept. I started over from scratch to fix some major problems and use what I learned from play tests.

I'll just let the map speak for itself.

Construct criticism and feedback is more than welcome. Thanks in advance!

Also ignore the poorly 'shopped overview. :D

Last edited:

redcommunism

L2: Junior Member
Feb 13, 2010
Great job, this looks fantastic. My only worry is that soldiers/sentries could camp the point. I thought you might cover the walkway and leave open windows, but then snipers would camp. I guess itll be fine. Id have to play it to see. but a fine job, nonetheless.

Rikka

L5: Dapper Member
Feb 10, 2009
Use a normal HUD.

Last point is bad. It's just two hallways to the point, one of which is incredibly tight. All of the exits from 2nd to mid are pretty vulnerable.

Crash

func_nerd
aa
Mar 1, 2010
I'm thinking I'm going to widen out the smaller hallway and possibly add a 3rd attacker only way onto the point. Possibly dropping down.

I'm also thinking about possibly connecting the two separate paths going to the last point, so you aren't quite boxed in if you choose either route.

Thanks for the critique, though.

Crash

func_nerd
aa
Mar 1, 2010
A2 Released

Screenshots of changes:
cp_oubliette_a2_01.jpg

First/ last CP with new drop down route.

cp_oubliette_a2_02.jpg

Path to the new overhang in the turbine room.

cp_oubliette_a2_03.jpg

A little better shot showing how the exits work for it.

cp_oubliette_a2_04.jpg

Cover on the center CP area balcony.

cp_oubliette_a2_05.jpg

Displacements above first/ last CP area.

As per usual, any critiques are welcome.

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
http://www.ueak.net/crash/Maps/cp_oubliette/cp_oubliette_a2_05.jpg

Your displacements look like an anechoic chamber. You don't have to be so "noisey" with the vertices. You just need to hint at the rocky surface (the texture does the rest of the work for you). Take a look at dustbowl's displacement cliff edges. They're a lot more smooth. Or even those in HL2 maps such as Ravenhom or those found in the Coast levels.

Crash

func_nerd
aa
Mar 1, 2010
The main screens aren't updated. The ones I just posted are. The only place the colored lights are used are on a few signs and above the turbines to give the room a bit more of a feel for which side they are on. They aren't anywhere you can actually go on either side, just part of a detail.

I'm still a bit worried about the lighting though. Most of the main areas I have brightened up a ton, I'm just having a hard time doing it and keeping it looking right. I don't want to go nuts with light fixtures, but I also don't want to put lights in that don't make sense, at least not often.

425ily

L1: Registered
Feb 13, 2014
Now we can see the rise of legend :D