Other Problem with Skybox...

Nighttime71

L2: Junior Member
Jan 11, 2016
Yes now I can barely see the seams, but maybe you shouldn't worry too much about the seams cause I know skyboxes like 2fort have slight seams. Also if your planning on making a sun for your skybox, it might just be a better idea to use a env_sun entity and have the angles line up with the light_env. (its easier than trying to line the light_env up with the drawn sun)

Vel0city

func_fish
aa
Dec 6, 2014
Yes now I can barely see the seams, but maybe you shouldn't worry too much about the seams cause I know skyboxes like 2fort have slight seams. Also if your planning on making a sun for your skybox, it might just be a better idea to use a env_sun entity and have the angles line up with the light_env. (its easier than trying to line the light_env up with the drawn sun)
Forget 2Fort, have you seen the skybox on pl_frontier? Nothing in that skybox lines up. The seams are dead obvious to a point where clouds just cut off.

TMB

Banned
Jun 7, 2015

Idolon

they/them
aa
Feb 7, 2008
The curves are there - I'll edit this post in a few minutes with a picture.

EDIT:
AtaLKFV.png

You can see how the yellow/orange atmosphere follows the top curve almost exactly, as well as the tops of the clouds. It wouldn't surprise me if the skybox was made with this exact template.

Last edited:

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
Can you see the curves when I draw a red line over them?
curves.JPG

And the fuji skybox is basically featureless, the only thing that overlaps a corner is these clouds, and they're halfway down the texture so the distortion is minimal.
Top is ingame, bottom is the two textures in photoshop
fuji-curves.JPG

TMB

Banned
Jun 7, 2015
Definitly, i sucks making custom skybox...

Attachments

• I sucks!.jpg
    I sucks!.jpg
    157.8 KB · Views: 61

Yrr

An Actual Deer
aa
Sep 20, 2015
its one of the hardest kind of textures to do, you should really get proficient with other texturing first

TMB

Banned
Jun 7, 2015
Ok, now i make a new version, what do you think guys?

Attachments

• Better... i guess....jpg
    Better... i guess....jpg
    170.7 KB · Views: 64

seth

aa
May 31, 2013
What are we going to tell you that you don't already know? Why are you making a skybox? Unless you really know what you're doing, you're not going to make anything that looks better than what is already available to you.

On another note, that curvature in the skybox textures themselves is interesting, didn't realize that was a thing. Always thought those clouds were angled because of the stylization, but I guess it serves a real purpose too.

TMB

Banned
Jun 7, 2015
What are we going to tell you that you don't already know? Why are you making a skybox? Unless you really know what you're doing, you're not going to make anything that looks better than what is already available to you.

On another note, that curvature in the skybox textures themselves is interesting, didn't realize that was a thing. Always thought those clouds were angled because of the stylization, but I guess it serves a real purpose too.
I just want to know if im doing good, i need your opinion :p

TMB

Banned
Jun 7, 2015
Yeah, looks like it's stitched fine. But don't put that in a map, your skybox needs to be easy on the eyes.
Emm, ok, its just this is the first time i make a skybox...