'Orphaned objects were found and placed into the "_orphaned hidden" visgroup

• If you're asking a question make sure to set the thread type to be a question!

Werewolf

Probably not a real Werewolf
aa
Apr 12, 2011
I've just opened hammer to the following notification:

gN7BeYF.png

After clicking OK and letting it finish loading, all my custom visgroups are now gone except the new one created above, all the point entities are gone, and my brush entities look like this: (this is a func_nobuild brush for example)

5NG3S59.png

Understandably I need to fix this somehow. Short of reverting to an earlier iteration and re-doing my work on this version, is there some way to fix this error?

Last edited:

hutty

aa
Mar 30, 2014
Probably not, unless you want to go digging in the vmf file with a text editor.

Does the built in "check for errors" thing in hammer return anything interesting?

henke37

aa
Sep 23, 2011
This is why you use source control to undo corrupted files.

Werewolf

aa
Apr 12, 2011
Probably not, unless you want to go digging in the vmf file with a text editor.

Does the built in "check for errors" thing in hammer return anything interesting?
I didn't check for errors because I assumed that everything would flag as an error of some kind. That and as I had only moved to next iteration a day ago and hadn't made many changed between them, I accepted the loss.

Werewolf

aa
Apr 12, 2011
That's what I did. It was my B2 version that messed up, and as I had only created it yesterday it wasn't a big loss to re-open B1 and save it as B2, overwriting the old B2

hutty

aa
Mar 30, 2014
yeah, my "source control" for mapping is just tapping save-as on occasion, going full git is overkill unless you are collaborating on a big project or dealing with known instabilities, imho.

henke37

aa
Sep 23, 2011
But hammer is a known instability.