Orbit

PLR Orbit A1

14bit

L14: Bit Member
aa
Oct 5, 2014
Everyone's favorite Payload Circuit map is back for 2018! I'm proud to present my second ever map from 2015 recompiled, reuploaded, and repacked for the next generation of mappers to experience.

The gamemode prefab has also been updated for 2018! Check it out here!

Original post from 2015 below:

When RED and BLU began to build their bases on the moon, they soon realized that they needed more space wood. A private investor set up Lunar Lumber Co. between their bases and made lucrative profits. Soon, however, the bases were complete. The new company had forgotten to design a way to get the space wood back to earth, and there was no one left to buy the space wood on the moon. They invested all of the money they had made on a new ship to haul the wood.

Soon, however, Lunar Lumber Co. went out of business. The ship crashed into their shipping and receiving facility, and they couldn't afford to fix it. With their stocks meaningless, they sold half of the company to BLU and half to RED.

Both teams argued over who got to keep the facility. In the dead of space-night, both teams snuck out and began to build track to the others' base to defeat them once and for all. Unfortunately, they both had very limited resources, and upon reaching some track on the other side of the sawmill, they assumed that it led to the other teams' base.

I am proud to present my 2015 April Fool's Gameday map submission, plr_orbit! Orbit is a "payload circuit" map in which both teams try to push their teams' cart into the back of the other teams' cart.

Features:
-A strange new payload-ish game mode!
-Player launchers out of spawn!
-Four random events that fire every two minutes:
-Meteor strike! Find cover!
-Invisibility! Wears off after you shoot or 30 seconds!
-Mini and melee only! (Includes speed boost and third person!)
-Moon gravity!
-Two (2) test your weight machines, complete with cows!
-Beautiful Dev texture artwork and broken lighting!
-Overtime!
-Carts!
-Fancy, mouse-drawn signs!
-An attempt at a balanced map that I just said "screw it" to!
AND SO MUCH MORE!*

*not really much more though.

Please leave your thoughts and feedback below! Thanks!

Last edited:

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
orbit

space orbit

in my space suit

Vel0city

func_fish
aa
Dec 6, 2014
Would you mind making the basic game logic (2 bombs on the same track that run around in circles until they run into each other) available? I'd love to experiment with it.

14bit

aa
Oct 5, 2014
Payload Circuit Logic Explanation

I'm on vacation and can't map on my laptop, but I'll try to make a file with the game logic when I get home. I spent around an hour writing up an explanation how the logic works, but then my browser crashed, so I'll do a quicker version.

It's based off the the Payload Race game type from A Boojum Snark's gametype library, but modified. The overtime system was pretty much copied from plr_nightfall because I was running out of time for the gameday, but I plan on changing it later.

Each cart has a trigger_once parented to the front, and each has a filter_activator_name that checks for the opposing teams' cart. When it's triggered it sets off all of the events that normally go off when the carts trigger OnPass on each paths' last path_track.

The cart going flying is caused by having the carts' phys_constraint broken and the explosion's env_shake having its' "Physics" flag checked.

There is only one track, but both carts begin at opposite ends. The capture points that determine who has won are attached to path_tracks set as the starting path_tracks' branch path so that they appear on the HUD at each team's starting point.

If you put both carts on one track, please note that rollback zones will not work, but roll forward zones will. If you try to do rollback zones using the flags in the path_tracks, if a cart gets pushed onto a hill the cart not on the hill will start moving backwards at full speed. One workaround could possibly be to have both carts on separate but identical tracks, but I have not tried this myself.

That's pretty much everything you should need, but I'll put together a .vmf with the logic as soon as I can. Feel free to ask any questions you have and I'll try to answer them.

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2008
How did you make the transparent sign?

14bit

aa
Oct 5, 2014

14bit

aa
Oct 5, 2014
Re-uploaded and improved for 2018, since I never moved it to the new site when we switched. Have fun!

The gamemode prefab has also been updated for 2018 as well! Check it out here!