Optimizing

Darth Cyrax

L2: Junior Member
Nov 29, 2008
I CARVED IT
And there in lies the problem. Carving is an evil, nasty, tool that can cause random problems in even the most controlled environment.

[RandomUnrelatedStory]
I, for instance, while carving rectangles aligned to the grid, accidentally carved a displacement into a non-quad;it prevented my map from compiling, and I damn near had to start over because I couldn't find and delete the damn thing(it had disappeared from 3d view, and the "brush number" the compiler indicated was the problem brush was flat-out wrong)Lucky, I found it in a 2d view and removed it. [/RandomUnrelatedStory]

Have you tried using func_viscluster? I had a map with a very similar problem, and a combination if using the portalfiles to find+eliminate needless worldbrushes and using func_viscluster to deal with what had to stay made vvis on normal take about 20min.

If you were feeling adventurous you could try to replicate that wall using displacements.

Dr. ROCKZO

L8: Fancy Shmancy Member
Jul 25, 2009
Are you reluctant to post the VMF or something? You're really close to fixing this as I've seen by reading through this thread but there are a lot of people who could help you solve it a lot faster if you gave them something substantial to fix..

Swordz

L5: Dapper Member
Jun 27, 2009
And there in lies the problem. Carving is an evil, nasty, tool that can cause random problems in even the most controlled environment.

[RandomUnrelatedStory]
I, for instance, while carving rectangles aligned to the grid, accidentally carved a displacement into a non-quad;it prevented my map from compiling, and I damn near had to start over because I couldn't find and delete the damn thing(it had disappeared from 3d view, and the "brush number" the compiler indicated was the problem brush was flat-out wrong)Lucky, I found it in a 2d view and removed it. [/RandomUnrelatedStory]

Have you tried using func_viscluster? I had a map with a very similar problem, and a combination if using the portalfiles to find+eliminate needless worldbrushes and using func_viscluster to deal with what had to stay made vvis on normal take about 20min.

If you were feeling adventurous you could try to replicate that wall using displacements.

Well it's carved, but it's func_detailed

For some reason, when i used viscluster, the walls/etc didn't compiled.

It's taking 4 hours to compile portalflow, i will post this version and try to fix it in the a2...

Caliostro

L6: Sharp Member
Jul 6, 2009
Are you reluctant to post the VMF or something? You're really close to fixing this as I've seen by reading through this thread but there are a lot of people who could help you solve it a lot faster if you gave them something substantial to fix..

I'm betting on a chronic fear of fixing his problems...