Optimizing tunnels - func_detail + hint brushes?

Belli

L69: Deviant Member
Jan 21, 2012
I just wondered what would be the the most effective way to do tunnels (like 2fort sewer), which would create nasty visleaves otherwise. Func_detail or displacements seems to be the obvious way, but I'm not quite sure how generously I should use hint brushes to split up the leaves.
Should the tunnel be completely surrounded by either world brushes or hints, or is there any better solution? (what about nodraw brushes, for example?)

Ravidge

Grand Vizier
aa
May 14, 2008
The sewer in 2fort is made of square boxes/corridors, with func_detailed rounded walls.

Screenshot-2012-07-05_12.24.15.png

for clarification: Green = func_detail, blue = world brush.
Screenshot-2012-07-05_12.25.52.png

When optimizing a corridor with hints, something like this is very effective:
Screenshot-2012-07-05_12.31.28.png

hope that helped.

Last edited:

Jeremy

L11: Posh Member
Oct 24, 2010
Well, let's have a look at 2fort...

ibpwfu7p3a8aNP.jpg

inLwQSYVkuGOs.jpg

The tunnel is surrounded by a large cuboid, and the tunnel itself is a func_detail.

EDIT: Damnit ravidge you are faster and better than me

Last edited:

Ravidge

Grand Vizier
aa
May 14, 2008
yep, it does. So there's no real reason to use hints in an area that players can't see anyway, as it doesn't matter whether the lights are blocked or not?

I.. don't know what you're trying to say. Why did lights come into the discussion?

Hints only do one thing: Cut visleaves. Without basic knowledge on what a visleaf is, hints are impossible to use efficiently.

If you haven't already, go read this: http://www.optimization.interlopers.net/index.php
Chapter 4 and 5 are relevant to this topic.