Optimizing tunnels - func_detail + hint brushes?

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by Belli, Jul 5, 2012.

1. Belli

Belli L69: Deviant Member

Positive Ratings:
    I just wondered what would be the the most effective way to do tunnels (like 2fort sewer), which would create nasty visleaves otherwise. Func_detail or displacements seems to be the obvious way, but I'm not quite sure how generously I should use hint brushes to split up the leaves.
    Should the tunnel be completely surrounded by either world brushes or hints, or is there any better solution? (what about nodraw brushes, for example?)

2. Ravidge

aa Ravidge Grand Vizier

Positive Ratings:
    The sewer in 2fort is made of square boxes/corridors, with func_detailed rounded walls.

[​IMG]

for clarification: Green = func_detail, blue = world brush.
    [​IMG]

When optimizing a corridor with hints, something like this is very effective:
    [​IMG]

hope that helped.

• Thanks Thanks x 2
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2012
  3. Jeremy

Jeremy L11: Posh Member

Positive Ratings:
    Well, let's have a look at 2fort...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The tunnel is surrounded by a large cuboid, and the tunnel itself is a func_detail.

EDIT: Damnit ravidge you are faster and better than me

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2012
  4. Belli

Belli L69: Deviant Member

Positive Ratings:
    yep, it does. So there's no real reason to use hints in an area that players can't see anyway, as it doesn't matter whether the lights are blocked or not?

5. Ravidge

aa Ravidge Grand Vizier

Positive Ratings:
    I.. don't know what you're trying to say. Why did lights come into the discussion?

Hints only do one thing: Cut visleaves. Without basic knowledge on what a visleaf is, hints are impossible to use efficiently.

If you haven't already, go read this: http://www.optimization.interlopers.net/index.php
    Chapter 4 and 5 are relevant to this topic.