Optimize an "open" environment.

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by Anreol, May 24, 2015.

1. Anreol

Anreol L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    I have a problem, i cant finish an alpha (or planning) of a map, because the map don't have any optimization, and i don't know how to do that, because is too open! (And its actually small)
    Isometric screenshot of the map
    That is the map. But outdated, actually i mirrored it and edited/added something.
    Just when i mirrored it the compilation time never ends.

2. radarhead

aa radarhead Hands out ratings like cheap cigars

Positive Ratings:
    You really shouldn't build your map in a big open box like that. Open spaces filled with smaller brushes are going to be deadly to optimize.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. hutty

aa hutty

Positive Ratings:
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Anreol

Anreol L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    So i must extend the walls?
    Well, now that I'm thinking that will "fix" the sightlines too.
    But originally i built that because in the original game they are small too.

EDIT: K, make smaller the open area, at the first time i didn't get what you want to say

Last edited: May 24, 2015
  5. Crash

aa Crash func_nerd

Positive Ratings:
    A thousand times this. Creating a big box and then filling it, or even just making your map and enclosing it on a box is a surefire way to cause yourself nothing but trouble down the road.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. killohurtz

aa killohurtz Distinction in Applied Carving

Positive Ratings:
    This article does a good job of explaining the proper use of skybox textures, so I would recommend reading through it.

Also check this page for an explanation of the pros and cons of different skybox setups. Based on the screenshot you provided, option 2 would probably be best for you since your buildings and walls are pretty low.

7. Kill_the_Bug

Kill_the_Bug L14: Epic Member

Positive Ratings:
    One fast way you can optimize it instantly (before you do more of your map) is to move that box floor so that you map sits on it - just cut out the floor to match the outline of your map and then make them skybox textures - copy the orange boxes - move them up on top of the existing and then make the skybox texture so that it joins the ceilinf.

Run your compile on existing - then do the items above - compare the portal clusters/numportals/audible clusters and the vis data size.

Also net_graph 1 on existing then load new map and you should also see an improvement.

Start here and then go ape optimizing everything else.