optimization/scenery question

Zee

L1: Registered
Dec 30, 2009
Hola. I was wondering if there was anyway to have hammer not think a sealed off area is a place a player can get to. I have a decent portion of water in my map that you can't go to, but has to be there as a skybox would block off other parts of the map. This would take time out of compiling and weaken optimization right?

Thus I was wondering if a hint brush would work here, and how would I place it if so. All over the area? or just as a wall? If not, what could work? Thanks in advanced. Sorry if this has been asked before, kind of a hard question to search for.

StickZer0

💙💙💃💙💙
aa
Nov 25, 2008
not think a sealed off area is a place a player can get to.

I really don't understand what you mean. Could you maybe take a photo in hammer and explain what you mean a little bit more?
Thanks

jpr

aa
Feb 1, 2009
Ok so if I understood you right, you have a lake of some sort between 2 areas in your map?
A hint wouldn't do anything there... You could try an areaportal but I don't think it would help much if it's a really large area. I would probably just put a wall between the areas. Sometimes you have to prioritize and looks aren't as important as good fps.

Zee

Dec 30, 2009
Sorry, Ill try to be more clear, it's kind of late.
I have a boat on a ocean, that is docked on a island. The problem is I need a whole bunch of water the the player only looks at, and can't get to. Because of the island, I can't just seal it off with a sky box filled with water since it sticks out, and I need a decent amount of water to go around the island . I used a player clip so the player can't go far off, but there's quite a bit of space that is there to only look at. I was wondering if there was anyway to tell hammer this, and optimizes that space.

It's not over-over-size mind you, I just want the best FPS for the map. I've seen Valve do much worse in terms of a big sky box.

Also a quick question, vertexed water is fine as long as it's 180 degrees horizontal correct?

Edit: to clear things up more, it's not between two places. , just off in the distance. Kind of like L4d's lighthouse level.

Last edited:

StickZer0

💙💙💃💙💙
aa
Nov 25, 2008
Because of the island, I can't just seal it off with a sky box filled with water since it sticks out, and I need a decent amount of water to go around the island.

You can cover the playable map with a skybox texture, and make a seperate 3D skybox with the water and the island. I don't know what you mean by the island will "stick out" but if it's not reachable and it's very far away, a 3D skybox is what you need.

This should get you started, but if I didn't answer your question, it's because I don't full understand what you mean. hope it helps

Zee

Dec 30, 2009
By stick out, I mean the island has to extend out, thus the playing area has too also, or it will just end. I should have gave you a picture in the first place. Sorry about that.

xwater2.png

The fence is where the player clip would be, I had to take a few things out to get a better picture. Don't be judgmental now, its a work in progress :p

See the island sticking out, and how that and the boat pushed the sky box back?

I could possibly make corner of the island in the sky box, cutting down on space, but it would look way too janky being so close the the playing area. As I said, it shouldn't effect the fps too much since it's quite empty, but I still would like to know if I could do anything about it.

Zee

Dec 30, 2009
Thank you both for the help. :) . This is what I was looking for it seems :) . Any special way to do apply the viscluster ? Or just cover the whole none-playable area in a box?

Last edited: