Optimization Areaportal open spaces

• If you're asking a question make sure to set the thread type to be a question!
Aug 19, 2008
In theory everything is clear and fine, but applying everything on a living thing is harder.

i´m about to optimize my map, because it chokes down the fps on the chokepoints
areaportals in buildings are no problem, but applying them in wide open spaces gets kinda tricky for me

i would appreciate any help or tip

here´s a graphic with the major AP connecting the skyboxed parts of the level
green=areaportal
blue=skyboxes
red=path
pink=hint

and here is a linke to an overview without the editing
http://imagefarm.net/viewer.php?file=es9istf3yswom8vmvarf.jpg

discussion thread: http://forums.tf2maps.net/showthread.php?t=3719&highlight=pl_cashworks

Last edited:

UKCS-Alias

Mann vs Machine... or... Mapper vs Meta?
aa
Sep 8, 2008
At first i wonder how high people can jump. If they arent able to look over a building a brush with skybox texture does more then enough. In hammer it sometimes might look dumb when a building looks smaller then it is but then try it ingame. Many times you dont see it that well.

Also, if you cant block the view that way and people shouldnt be able to walk over the building anyway maybe make the building taller. This solves the problem of being able to look over it many times. And by looking at the screens i think its possible to do this at the most important places that couse those problems.

And btw, add a single cubemap in the map (at a random position that you can easily remember). A single cubemap can fix those bugs temporary and makes it look better for you ingame also.

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
Could you add in your vertical hint brushes for us? That would help a lot in determining any optimisation issues/improvements.

Your areaportals seem sound from here.

Last edited:

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
hint1.jpg

Hopefully you can see what i mean here. Try this. yellow = hints.

You'll have to fill in a few gaps yourself, especially on the horizontal planes.