Optimal VRAD settings for final compile

Snowbat

L4: Comfortable Member
Apr 23, 2013
Guys, I need help with something that is probably very stupid, but I haven't done a full shadow and HDR compile in a while for my map and for some reason Hammer forgot the settings I used last time for it.
Gadget told me I should compile my map with extra compile setting son VRAD. I know how to add settings in Hammer... but I can't find the VRAD part. I see the following commands:
- bsp_exe
- vis_exe
- light_exe
- A copy file command
- game_exe

Which one is VRAD? Is it the lighting? What are the mos toptimal parameters to use?
Thanks!

Tumby

aa
May 12, 2013
Hammer forgot the settings because it's stored in a file which gets shipped with the game. This means that updates will override the file, causing any changes to disappear.
What I do to make it easier is simply making a backup of it. After an update I just override the original with the backup.
The file you are looking for is
Code:
Team Fortress 2\bin\CmdSeq.wc

henke37

aa
Sep 23, 2011
Mere updates won't touch the file. It's when you verify the cache it gets clobbered.

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
For easy copy pasta:

$light_exe -lights mylights.rad -staticproppolys -textureshadows -staticproplighting -final -both -smooth 40 -game $gamedir $path\$file

(I use -smooth 40 because I think the default of 45 is too much, I don't often want 45 degree corners to smooth)

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
That's why you need to remember to use smoothing groups to split those out. Straight ramps for example should never smooth with the horizontal surfaces they connect to, no matter how shallow they are.