Opinions on landmines and other fun stuff of the like

• If you're asking a question make sure to set the thread type to be a question!
T

The Asylum

Hey all

So I was diddling around in Hammer again, and taught myself how to use trigger_hurt and trigger_once. Add that with the barbwire fence props and env_explode and I found myself with actual damage-dealing barbwire and exploding landmines! Yay!

So my question is, do these hazards, esp. landmines, really have a place in TF2? I'm fiddling around with a beach of Normandy like map, and I was wondering if walking over a presumably harmless area of ground and then being suddenly blown into the sky with 100 damage would be likley to piss people off- especially if they landed in one of the barbwire patches afterward.

Same thing goes with other fun stuff of the like, such as spike pits, toxic water, etc

dirtyminuth

L5: Dapper Member
Nov 5, 2007
Hazards that the player has little control over avoiding, in this case, landmines with no visual indicators, are a bad idea for any game. Don't use them.

However, hazards such as bottomless pits, barbed wire, toxic sludge, and other nasty things that provide visual indicators aren't as bad. The player has the ability to avoid them. I plan to have bottomless pits in my contest map that are very easy to avoid. If you fall into one, it's your fault.

Placed carefully and with restraint, such hazards can add a little danger and fun to the map. You've just got to see them coming.

Jive Turkey

L3: Member
Jan 22, 2008
Even better than landmines would be areas with patches of heavy artillery fire. You could setup a certain rythm to it, so if one wanted to pass through the area, one would first have to observe the pattern and then make their way through carefully. This would give you the mayhem of a violent battlefield while giving the proper visual indicators to avoid these hazards.

FernFerret

L2: Junior Member
Mar 25, 2008
I personally Feel that other players shooting at me is enough in TF2, Unless it's a falling trigger hurt, I don't even think barbed wire should have trigger hurts. If these features were included, I usually brush the map off as a gimmick map, and continue to the next. But that's my opinion on the matter.

FernFerret

T

The Asylum

So I've applied a very visible "Boom" overlay on top of the mines, so only a total dumbass would not recognize it as a hazard. The only more obvious route I could go is putting a big sign over them saying "THIS IS A LAND MINE. DON'T BE A FOOP AND STEP ON THIS VERY ODDLY DISCOLORED GROUND WITH THE BIG EXPLOSION PICTURE ON IT OKAY?"

So if you were to come across this kind of map, how badly would the damage from the barbwire/mines have to be nerfed for you to go "Oh hey it's that hazard map again cool"

phatal

L6: Sharp Member
Jan 8, 2008
I suggest not having your overlay but instead put several of those signs that have the skull and cross bones on it. This with the barbwire would make me think twice about going across.

Might I make another suggestion... Add an invisible no collision func_brush with 1 health (or more) that fires the explosion to detonate the "mine". This may take some time to do but it would give a better land mine affect. Of course you would need this brush for each land mine. Just copy paste from inside the entity properties.

Charlie =[RHIT]=

L1: Registered
Apr 9, 2008
I personally Feel that other players shooting at me is enough in TF2, Unless it's a falling trigger hurt, I don't even think barbed wire should have trigger hurts. If these features were included, I usually brush the map off as a gimmick map, and continue to the next. But that's my opinion on the matter.

FernFerret

You mean like the ahoballs and ahopheus you love so much? :p

I agree with the other posters, if you provide a visual indicator that it's a minefield, it could be cool. In Call of Duty, map boundaries often had minefields with skull-and-crossbones signs. Players could only walk a couple of feet in before getting blown up. You could do something like that (and that might fit well in my own map!)

zbandito

L1: Registered
Feb 12, 2008
One way to address the issue is to make the destructible object beep, smoke, and/or flash for a moment before it actually detonates. This gives the player a bit of a chance to escape their doom.

Nice idea; there are several interesting ways to implement this. :)