[Open-to-Request] Particle systems for maps.

kromano

L1: Registered
Jun 26, 2008
I wouldn't mind a shore/wake/wave particle. I'm trying to make one up but the particle system is a bit of a pain to work with. Currently I've got overlays acting as the surf that comes in to the short ala Minerva or the beachside maps of HL2 which I only vaguely remember.

kromano

Jun 26, 2008
I was looking at that earlier but wasn't very impressed by the water. I think I'll download it and check out all the content to see if there was something I'd missed in the video I watched.

I think the term "wave" was misleading. I meant a flat particle that just moved from some point in the ocean to the shore that might look better than overlays:

(an old screenshot from my map)

Boylee

pew pew pew
aa
Apr 29, 2008
I wouldn't mind a shore/wake/wave particle. I'm trying to make one up but the particle system is a bit of a pain to work with. Currently I've got overlays acting as the surf that comes in to the short ala Minerva or the beachside maps of HL2 which I only vaguely remember.

Take a look at this article. The attached example map has a method of making waves using proxies. Might not be what you're looking for but it could well help.

[REQEST] I'm going to need a particle system sometime soon for chicane. Basically I want to have a rocket lift off at the end of a round like so: Apollo 11 launch on youtube.

I think because of the height of the lift off it may be best to do it in the skybox, so it'll need to be scaled accordingly. (That's if particles work the same in the skybox?)

I seem to remember Tapp saying that he fancied giving this a bash so you can have first dibs if you want it. :)
[/REQUEST]

Tapp

L10: Glamorous Member
Jan 26, 2009
Take a look at this article. The attached example map has a method of making waves using proxies. Might not be what you're looking for but it could well help.

[REQEST] I'm going to need a particle system sometime soon for chicane. Basically I want to have a rocket lift off at the end of a round like so: Apollo 11 launch on youtube.

I think because of the height of the lift off it may be best to do it in the skybox, so it'll need to be scaled accordingly. (That's if particles work the same in the skybox?)

I seem to remember Tapp saying that he fancied giving this a bash so you can have first dibs if you want it. :)
[/REQUEST]

I would love to have a go at that, but first I would like you to send me the vmf of the finale. Just the rocket, its path, and any significant walls or structures around it, so that I can put in culling planes.

kromano

Jun 26, 2008

Thanks. Indeed I'm already using proxies, but this goes into more detail. Maybe I can patch them with one more effect so they don't have that unfortunate sharp edge along the outside where the waves move in.

FissionMetroid101

L2: Junior Member
Jan 27, 2010
I hope I'm not asking too much, but for a map I need a blinding explosion from all angles that could engulf nucleus.

Bolty

Jan 9, 2010
I hope I'm not asking too much, but for a map I need a blinding explosion from all angles that could engulf nucleus.

Despite real blinding requiring some coding, I can try doing such a big explosion :3

Malcolm

L3: Member
Jul 10, 2008

The blinding can be achieved by some env_tonemap-tuning.

Do you mean something like this?
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LI3rpDXh-UM"]YouTube- TF2 Nuke Test - First Attempt[/ame]

I have done this using HDR, sprites and tonemapping.

kromano

Jun 26, 2008
Don't forget about env_fade as well.
You can set it to white and a short duration with a long hold time for a fast white flash that blinds for x hold duration seconds.