[Open-to-Request] Particle systems for maps.

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by Bolty, Jan 13, 2010.

1. Bolty

Bolty L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Well, the title says it all. I seriously doubt that I'm breaking any rules by posting this here. If so, please move this thread wherever it belongs.

Do you have any kind of cool map, but you're tired of using always the same default explosions or Nucleus core effects? Well, make here your request and I will do it as nice as I can :D

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  2. gamemaster1996

gamemaster1996 L13: Stunning Member

Positive Ratings:
    Hmm this could come in handy :)
    Although i dont really need any new particles at the moment, but if i do i'll make sure i ask.

3. Tapp

Tapp L10: Glamorous Member

Positive Ratings:
    I can make particle systems too. I think some more explosions should be made, I'll make one myself, but I think people are starting to recognise the goldrush explosion.

4. EArkham

aa EArkham Necromancer

Positive Ratings:
    Though not needed for any map I have in the works, I'd love to see:

* Leaves moving as if in the wind
    * Gnats/moths moving as if circling a light

Kep

5. Tydax

Tydax L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    I'm working on an alpine map, and I'd like to get some nice and cute falling snow particles. I don't want to get it RIGHT NOW, take your time. Not too much snow, but enough to match with the alpine theme. And I hate REALISTIC LOL!!1, so avoid realistic snow. Thank you in advance :)

6. Bolty

Positive Ratings:
    Well, the first one is a bit harder than you would think. I would need to create a sprite sheet (like the flamethrower's fire sprite or the water/blood/bonk! splash). The sprite sheet maker (mksheet.exe) used to be in the Source SDK but somehow lost it's functions and now is broken. If anyone has some information about how to make a sprite sheet work, please don't hesitate in posting here or sending me a PM.
    For the second, well....I'll do it very soon, in my spare time

And this - look! I'll add you to Steam friends so we can talk about some details. Just like the spawning zone or things like that ;)

Also, thanks for making requests! Actually I didn't expect more than one request, and also tried on other forums and got raged at me (the typical user who firmly believes you use particle hacks)

7. Tapp

Positive Ratings:
    No need to rush bolty, I have already done the second one. The leaves though, are very difficult. I'll post my versions of both of them in a minute.
    Edit: Here's my attempt at leaves, the moths will be here once I find it

Last edited: Jan 16, 2010
  8. Bolty

Positive Ratings:
    It just needs a proper sprite sheet, and I'll personally draw it by hand.

9. Mr. P. Kiwi

Mr. P. Kiwi L5: Dapper Member

Positive Ratings:
    It could be nice to have a particle effect of sand falling from the ceiling - but very gently so that it'll look like it's falling from a cave ceiling where the barriers are week...

10. Tapp

Positive Ratings:
    What do you think of my leaves? It's got several layers, from simple falling leaves, to swaying leaves, to streams of leaves following the wind.

11. Malcolm

Malcolm L3: Member

Positive Ratings:
    I have a request!

I'm still working on my Nuke Blast Payload Explosion and need an effect I cannot find.

So: The particle I need is some kind of shockwave, indicating that the bomb has major impact on the surrounding area (either like dust being blown away from the center or something like the pyro's airblast blurring and refracting a circle around the center... it's your choice :D)

I hope someone will face this challenge...

Thanks in Advance

12. Remnic

Remnic L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    I'm in need of a particle effect where a waterfall is pouring into ankle high shallow water. The arena_sawmill waterfall basin particle effect doesn't come close as to what I had in mind.

13. Grim Tuesday

aa Grim Tuesday

Positive Ratings:
    If this is still open for posting, then I would request any kind of "swirly doomsday" particle. However, I would request it to be thoroughly non-nucleus.

14. Tehrasha

Tehrasha L3: Member

Positive Ratings:
    I know very little about particle effects and how they work, but I know there are several types of 'nuke' explosion in Gmod. Are the systems too different to convert/port between them?

15. Tapp

Positive Ratings:
    See my post above
    It contains leaves, woodchips and a doomsday device.

16. Bolty

Positive Ratings:
    I think those particle effects aren't technically particles. Just lua-coded sprites that move in a determined way.

17. Bya

Bya L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Snow plz

18. Engineer

aa Engineer

Positive Ratings:
    :facepalm:
    In case you have missed last few months, there is an entire map called Viaduct with snow particles.

19. Bolty

Positive Ratings:
    Ok. I started working on some of these requests. I recommend you to add me on steam so I can get a better sight of the request, and you can track my progress with it.

20. Bolty

Positive Ratings:
    Sorry for double posting, but this will do: I finished the snow and sand-falling-from-the-ceiling effects. Now I'll create the doomsday ones, with grey, red and blue clouds, and team-colored lightning! :D