One-sided CTF?

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by Pocket, Apr 5, 2011.

1. Pocket

aa Pocket func_croc

Positive Ratings:
    I'm working on an experimental game mode: traditional two-base grab-and-retrieve style capture the flag, but with only one team capturing and the other defending. I figured entity-wise it should be exactly the same as the A/D CTF you all did for that contest a while back, except that the briefcase goes in RED's base and the capture zone goes in BLU's instead of the other way around.

So after some hunting, I found and downloaded this old prefab that was made for the contest. But I'm not sure it's the best solution anymore. I recall reading some stuff about Valve adding stuff... entities, tf_gamerules inputs, something... to make the A/D CTF mode easier to set up. This prefab was hacked together using dynamic props, control point triggers, and custom sound entities. Is there a newer version of this, or a tutorial on how to create one?

2. Seba

aa Seba DR. BIG FUCKER, PHD

Positive Ratings:
    If this is traditional CTF but with just one flag, you don't even need to use ADCTF settings; just remove the BLU flag and the RED capturezone.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Pocket

aa Pocket func_croc

Positive Ratings:
    Oh hey, so I can! I should be able to figure out the timer control myself.

4. grazr

aa grazr Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle

Positive Ratings:
    Wait, what does that do to the HUD though?

5. honorum646

honorum646 L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    It would probably keep the two flag HUD..

There may be a work around though, possibly by forcing the neutral/1 flag HUD to show up.

6. Pocket

aa Pocket func_croc

Positive Ratings:
    HUD doesn't change, unfortunately. Not sure how to fix that.

A bigger issue, though, right now is how to ensure that teams switch at the end of the round. The entity that handles that in Dustbowl-style maps is team_control_point_master, which I gather from the name is not appropriate for the CTF gametype.

7. ardysqrrl

ardysqrrl L4: Comfortable Member

Positive Ratings:
    I'd suggest using the a/d setup so that the appropriate HUD shows up

you can switch teams if you trigger the win with a game_round_win