On a Rail

Mystic Monkey

L5: Dapper Member
Jan 24, 2011
So on Terminal Station I thought be great idea to use Payload tracks to put the trains on since it would look more spiffy. The trains will be driven like those trams in HL1 (On A Rail) only the driving lever can be used with hitting.

My question is, are the Payload rails prop_static or prop_physic? If the carts in payload or my trails will be prop_dynamic then are the rails decorative or another prop that guides whatever is on the rails? Also is it possible to resize props?

Or am I thinking of the wrong props? Im starting to worry if this map is too much for my level. :(

lana

Currently On: ?????
aa
Sep 28, 2009
The rails are prop_static. The carts are parented to a func_tracktrain.

Mystic Monkey

Jan 24, 2011
So if I want to use an oriignal model that goes along the tracks, they should also be func_tracktrain?

At least, I tihnk Ican make original models, I rely on AC3D and sure I can move whatever I made there to 3Ds Max.

Is it also possible to stretch the models of the prop bigger like the brushes?

(Sorry took ages to reply. Crashed)

Mr. Happy

L6: Sharp Member
Jul 16, 2008
The func_tracktrain is a "fake" train, i.e. its just a nodraw block you can't see. Model's cant be func_entities. The cart model should be PARENTED to the tracktrain, and the tracktrain set to follow a series of path_track entities. The rail models are visual only and have nothing to do with making it work.

And no you can't stretch props.

Last edited:

Mystic Monkey

Jan 24, 2011
I see! I guess I can use HL2 props for these TF2 map.Theres plenty of trains there. I hope to make custom models of the actual trains though.

Mystic Monkey

Jan 24, 2011
:( But the Payload tracks are too small. So are these tracks but they are big enough to manage. Im not that wholey keen on using HL2 props myself since I know the two games design apperance are difference but I dunno what else to do. :( Im hoping that the tunnels will be just dark enough that no one will really notice.

Dragonstorm24

L4: Comfortable Member
Nov 16, 2009
before you put anything down SCALE the level to a player model. If the payload tracks are too small then your map is probably too big.

Mystic Monkey

Jan 24, 2011
Scaled. :) It does look much better. ^^ Crashed during Run Game but on Hammer looks good. ^^

I know map making isn't a picnic but my computer sure likes crashing. I do read through the VDC and thankful for the help your giving me, just fear I may come off as too n00bish. ;^^ I dunno if most people new here feel like that.

Mystic Monkey

Jan 24, 2011
Sorry to double post but I made something new and would like your oppinion...

Does this look anything like a train to you?
fei2o2.png

I know the VDC says TF2 don't have any ladders but can ladders still work in TF2? I also heard from a friend while discussing about a TF2 racing map that it's possible to make vehicles in TF2 which would be great for a more efficient method to drive the trains.