On a Rail

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by Mystic Monkey, Jan 26, 2011.

1. Mystic Monkey

Mystic Monkey L4: Comfortable Member

Positive Ratings:
    So on Terminal Station I thought be great idea to use Payload tracks to put the trains on since it would look more spiffy. The trains will be driven like those trams in HL1 (On A Rail) only the driving lever can be used with hitting.

My question is, are the Payload rails prop_static or prop_physic? If the carts in payload or my trails will be prop_dynamic then are the rails decorative or another prop that guides whatever is on the rails? Also is it possible to resize props?

Or am I thinking of the wrong props? Im starting to worry if this map is too much for my level. :(

2. Lancey

aa Lancey Currently On: ?????

Positive Ratings:
    The rails are prop_static. The carts are parented to a func_tracktrain.

3. Mystic Monkey

Positive Ratings:
    So if I want to use an oriignal model that goes along the tracks, they should also be func_tracktrain?

At least, I tihnk Ican make original models, I rely on AC3D and sure I can move whatever I made there to 3Ds Max.

Is it also possible to stretch the models of the prop bigger like the brushes?

(Sorry took ages to reply. Crashed)

4. Mr. Happy

Mr. Happy L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    The func_tracktrain is a "fake" train, i.e. its just a nodraw block you can't see. Model's cant be func_entities. The cart model should be PARENTED to the tracktrain, and the tracktrain set to follow a series of path_track entities. The rail models are visual only and have nothing to do with making it work.

And no you can't stretch props.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2011
  5. Bockagon

Bockagon L3: Member

Positive Ratings:
  6. Mystic Monkey

Positive Ratings:
    I see! I guess I can use HL2 props for these TF2 map.Theres plenty of trains there. I hope to make custom models of the actual trains though.

7. Micnax

aa Micnax I maek map

Positive Ratings:
    Noooooooononononono

Please don't use HL2 models and props, they stand out very badly from everything else.

8. Mystic Monkey

Positive Ratings:
    :( But the Payload tracks are too small. So are these tracks but they are big enough to manage. Im not that wholey keen on using HL2 props myself since I know the two games design apperance are difference but I dunno what else to do. :( Im hoping that the tunnels will be just dark enough that no one will really notice.

9. Dragonstorm24

Dragonstorm24 L4: Comfortable Member

Positive Ratings:
    before you put anything down SCALE the level to a player model. If the payload tracks are too small then your map is probably too big.

10. Mystic Monkey

Positive Ratings:
    Scaled. :) It does look much better. ^^ Crashed during Run Game but on Hammer looks good. ^^

I know map making isn't a picnic but my computer sure likes crashing. I do read through the VDC and thankful for the help your giving me, just fear I may come off as too n00bish. ;^^ I dunno if most people new here feel like that.

11. Mystic Monkey

Positive Ratings:
    Sorry to double post but I made something new and would like your oppinion...

Does this look anything like a train to you?
    [​IMG]

I know the VDC says TF2 don't have any ladders but can ladders still work in TF2? I also heard from a friend while discussing about a TF2 racing map that it's possible to make vehicles in TF2 which would be great for a more efficient method to drive the trains.