Olympiad

purequaternion

L3: Member
May 19, 2009
CTF_Olympiad: a push-CTF map set in a fictional Greco-Roman town. The architecture is inspired by the Doric order.

My plan is to have 3 stages:

Stage 1: Small altar outside the gates, Town Gates
Stage 2: Agora (market), Library
Stage 3: Garden, Temple of Zeus

Instead of the metal capture points, I'm using the top part of a floor torch from CP_Egypt. I envision having the flag be a torch (like the CP_Egypt wall torch, but without the wall attachment). When BLU caps a point, the torch will light.

Another idea I had is to have only one spawn room per team; these would be in standard Spytech style, but then have a warp gate (sort of like in Stargate) that takes players to the appropriate spot in the map. Small "spawn" areas would still be in the map, as a place for the teleporter destinations, allow class switching, and have a resupply locker. These areas would be safe from the opposing team as usual.

I look forward to y'all's thoughts!

-Colin

PRE-ALPHA 2

Stage 1: Block it out!
Stage 2: Preliminary blocking of Library, connections from library to garden. Need to block the Agora still.
Stage 3: Blocking finished
Other: Figure out torch, capture point fire, make custom column prop_static models
Other: copy/paste in ABJ's entities!

Last edited:

Stupoider

L1: Registered
Feb 8, 2009
Oooh, going into unexplored territory, eh? I hope this setting works out, and looking from the screenshots you've done a mighty fine job pulling it off!

purequaternion

May 19, 2009
Since the Temple to Zeus is blocked out, I'll try to have that stage functional for gameday.

I thought I should mention: Screenshot 1 and 3 are of the Garden point, Screenshot 2 is of the Temple to Zeus. It's the big thing in the mid-foreground, the capture point is inside with some wooden scaffolding for sentries etc. The large temple in the far background is the red spawn area for that stage.

EDIT: I just reread the contest rules, and it seems that there must be at least 2 cap points per stage. I'll probably just move the Garden cap point from stage 2 to stage 3.

Last edited:

Stupoider

Feb 8, 2009
Aaah, I could imagine seeing some braziers and torches dotted around Zeus's temple.

I -did- notice the skybox though, it's rather dark for it's setting. Either that or I've just been seeing the Lumberyard skybox too much and I'm getting tired of it. xD

purequaternion

May 19, 2009
Ahh, I'll have to try out a few other skyboxes to see how it looks. The Alpline one might work since it has some good evergreen trees in it.

I thought I'd make it so that whichever team wins Stage 3 would get to stand around and watch as Zeus hurled lightning against the losing team. Clouds would make it a tad more realistic but it might be cool for the bolts to come out of nowhere.

mug

Aug 13, 2008
Nice work man! I look forward to some greek style push ctf playtesting. Temple looks really nice, The fire lighting cps idea is great!:thumbup:

purequaternion

May 19, 2009
New Screenies

So I changed the sky, and honestly, this one makes a lot more sense. It's as if Mount Olympus is looming in the background.

The pics are, in order:

1. A view of the Garden (3-1)
2. A view of the Temple to Zeus (3-2)
3. A view inside the Temple of Zeus (3-2). I know it's too dark...I'll be adding some more torches etc. The hole in the wall is to give BLU a second way in.
4. A view inside the Library (2-2). When I detail this, they'll be racks of scrolls etc. The holes in the roof are meant to give BLU a second way in; I'll have some sort of way for players to get up there but only from outside the library.
5. Another view of the Garden (3-1), from the "Sniper Deck". You can see all three entries to this area: the gate on the left, a cave looking entrance in the center, and a broken section of wall above it.

Thanks for your comments!

Last edited: