Olympiad

Discussion in 'Map Factory' started by purequaternion, Jul 13, 2009.

1. purequaternion

purequaternion L3: Member

Positive Ratings:
    CTF_Olympiad: a push-CTF map set in a fictional Greco-Roman town. The architecture is inspired by the Doric order.

My plan is to have 3 stages:

Stage 1: Small altar outside the gates, Town Gates
    Stage 2: Agora (market), Library
    Stage 3: Garden, Temple of Zeus

Instead of the metal capture points, I'm using the top part of a floor torch from CP_Egypt. I envision having the flag be a torch (like the CP_Egypt wall torch, but without the wall attachment). When BLU caps a point, the torch will light.

Another idea I had is to have only one spawn room per team; these would be in standard Spytech style, but then have a warp gate (sort of like in Stargate) that takes players to the appropriate spot in the map. Small "spawn" areas would still be in the map, as a place for the teleporter destinations, allow class switching, and have a resupply locker. These areas would be safe from the opposing team as usual.

I look forward to y'all's thoughts!

-Colin

PRE-ALPHA 2

Stage 1: Block it out!
    Stage 2: Preliminary blocking of Library, connections from library to garden. Need to block the Agora still.
    Stage 3: Blocking finished
    Other: Figure out torch, capture point fire, make custom column prop_static models
    Other: copy/paste in ABJ's entities!

Last edited: Jul 15, 2009
  2. Stupoider

Stupoider L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Oooh, going into unexplored territory, eh? I hope this setting works out, and looking from the screenshots you've done a mighty fine job pulling it off!

3. purequaternion

Positive Ratings:
    Since the Temple to Zeus is blocked out, I'll try to have that stage functional for gameday.

I thought I should mention: Screenshot 1 and 3 are of the Garden point, Screenshot 2 is of the Temple to Zeus. It's the big thing in the mid-foreground, the capture point is inside with some wooden scaffolding for sentries etc. The large temple in the far background is the red spawn area for that stage.

EDIT: I just reread the contest rules, and it seems that there must be at least 2 cap points per stage. I'll probably just move the Garden cap point from stage 2 to stage 3.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2009
  4. Stupoider

Stupoider L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Aaah, I could imagine seeing some braziers and torches dotted around Zeus's temple.

I -did- notice the skybox though, it's rather dark for it's setting. Either that or I've just been seeing the Lumberyard skybox too much and I'm getting tired of it. xD

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. purequaternion

Positive Ratings:
    Ahh, I'll have to try out a few other skyboxes to see how it looks. The Alpline one might work since it has some good evergreen trees in it.

I thought I'd make it so that whichever team wins Stage 3 would get to stand around and watch as Zeus hurled lightning against the losing team. Clouds would make it a tad more realistic but it might be cool for the bolts to come out of nowhere.

6. Dr. Spud

aa Dr. Spud Grossly Incandescent

Positive Ratings:
    Just remember to replace the alpine trees at some point down the line - they're sort of a buzz-kill on the theme.

7. purequaternion

Positive Ratings:
    Hmm...I'm not much of a modeler but olive trees would be a perfect fit.

8. mug

mug L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Nice work man! I look forward to some greek style push ctf playtesting. Temple looks really nice, The fire lighting cps idea is great!:thumbup:

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. jpr

aa jpr

Positive Ratings:
    Sawmill sky? No thanks

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. purequaternion

Positive Ratings:
    New Screenies

So I changed the sky, and honestly, this one makes a lot more sense. It's as if Mount Olympus is looming in the background.

The pics are, in order:

1. A view of the Garden (3-1)
    2. A view of the Temple to Zeus (3-2)
    3. A view inside the Temple of Zeus (3-2). I know it's too dark...I'll be adding some more torches etc. The hole in the wall is to give BLU a second way in.
    4. A view inside the Library (2-2). When I detail this, they'll be racks of scrolls etc. The holes in the roof are meant to give BLU a second way in; I'll have some sort of way for players to get up there but only from outside the library.
    5. Another view of the Garden (3-1), from the "Sniper Deck". You can see all three entries to this area: the gate on the left, a cave looking entrance in the center, and a broken section of wall above it.

Thanks for your comments!

Last edited: Jul 15, 2009