ok, since my brain hates me, maybe u ppl can help

Sean of the Dead

L3: Member
Dec 30, 2007
i'm trying to start a new map for in between TSM, but i just cant think of ANYTHING to do. I tried porting the map hunted from TFC, but that didn't work out so well. as i've said before, i have OCD, so i can't just leave things unfinished or w/e. the problem is, i take way to long to make things look perfect when making a map, then it takes to much time, then i forget about it. ok, back on topic. i need you mappers to give me advice on how to make a rough draft on a map, w/o it being perfectly done.

also, would like to know what maps or map ideas someone wants to be made, so i can have an idea what to do :p

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
Dev textures for the win!
Filter "dev" in the texture window. Use the orange and grey ones and download these to use for the red side and blu side they help you as a mapper tell what side you are looking at (especially usefull for symetrical maps) and if you decide to do a layout test it helps all the players know which side they are in (use pakrat or something to make sure you dont get floods of complaints about "OMFG MISSING TEXTUREZ!").

So basically rough out the layout of the map using those, adding a few props that you need for layout such as any barrier props or railings. Then test it, then refine, then test, then refine, then test, then texture, then test, then refine some more, then test, then release :D

Logo

Oct 25, 2007
You forgot some other key parts like lighting, optimization, and player clips. You should map with all these in mind but you can leave their actual implementation until later.

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
Yeah, you should map the level out with dev textures and whilst you are keeping the map to your self don't bother adding lights, for the first few tests add simple placeholder lights then either before or after textureing add proper lighting.
Optimization should generally come after the bulk of the map has been made to look nice, just make sure you keep it in the back of your mind untill you really implement it. Player clips, I add those whenever I realise I need one, they can be hidden easily enough using the visgroups.

Shmitz

Old Hat
aa
Nov 12, 2007
I have to disagree. Optimization should be part of every step of building your map. You may not need to place all of your hint brushes, area portals, etc as you go, but you should at least be planning those things. There are a lot of ways you can really shoot yourself in the foot for optimization with a poorly laid out map.

Logo

Oct 25, 2007
I have to disagree. Optimization should be part of every step of building your map. You may not need to place all of your hint brushes, area portals, etc as you go, but you should at least be planning those things. There are a lot of ways you can really shoot yourself in the foot for optimization with a poorly laid out map.

Agreed 100%. That's what I meant by 'keep these things in mind'. Don't waste time on the actual hint/area portal brushes at first if you're going for a rough layout but plan your map around being able to properly optimize it.

DJive

Cake or Death?
aa
Dec 20, 2007
Also, nodraw optimization. If you're placing something that you know will be detail, or you're not completely certain, nodraw every unseen face when you create it. At least in my opinion, nodraw-ing hidden faces is a huge headache if you save it for the end, rather than doing it as you go.

Personally i create whole map in 2/4 textures, all DEV.

I texture faces i want then at the end i do replace all "dev" with no/draw =)