KotH oil

Discussion in 'Map Factory' started by Kingdom, May 9, 2015.

1. Kingdom

Kingdom L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    So, after a long time and one awful map i'm back with another (that works!). Koth_oil might already be taken and if so i'll probably just change the name down the line somewhere. As far as I can tell it's a small map that needs outside opinion on how to advance.

Thanks and enjoy your day!
    Kingdom

Last edited: May 16, 2015
  2. Uncuepa

aa Uncuepa

Positive Ratings:
    The words that come to mind are too flat and too open. I know its not too helpful, but consider changing some areas to raised platforms or small cliff areas.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Kingdom

Positive Ratings:
    hey, every bit is helpful.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. ExtraCheesyPie

ExtraCheesyPie L7: Fancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    What does this have to do with oil?

Anyways, it might be interesting to add an oil well out of brushwork on the point, providing a bit of cover and adding to the theme.[​IMG]

5. Kingdom

Positive Ratings:
    That's the idea! I plan to have an oil derek just outside the map or over the point depending on how things turn out.

6. Lain

aa Lain Resident wrong opinion holder

Positive Ratings:
    Uncuepa has it right here. When making maps, you must look at what works. Flat, Open maps with almost no deviation outside of walls is always terrible to play on, It's what CP_Orange is to something like CP_Badlands. See how much the plane of battle deviates, if only slightly? That is how varied and fun environments come about. A gameplay space of about 1000HMu will seem barren and boring if it doesn't have some kinda of deviation in height to attain.

Another side effect of having a massive barren plane is sniper, having to owl aim 1 axis is much easier than two.

Edit: Also, put your BSP in your download not your VMF. Nobody is going to compile your map to check it out.

Last edited: May 9, 2015
  7. HQDefault

aa HQDefault ...what

Positive Ratings:

Why can I not post anything productive in these threads.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 29, 2015
  8. Jigen

Jigen L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Since you have a theme in mind try to create a centerpiece that defines your point, and serves as the central hub for the layout. Being koth, the rest of the map should direct people there. Right now it's all one self-contained area.

Keep at it!

9. Kingdom

Positive Ratings:
    Boom. A2 is now live!

10. worMatty

aa worMatty Repacking Evangelist

Positive Ratings:
    Hi, Kingdom. Good to see you are producing more work.

Some of us played your map at the end of tonight's US Gameday. We were able to give it a good going over and leave some really great feedback. I hope you find it useful.