Oil Rig

Fireman

L4: Comfortable Member
Mar 21, 2008
General consensus was the area around mid was very open, being prone to sniper and wrangler sentry fire from either team's side. Generally anyone that stood on the point ended up getting spammed to death by the other team. It has potential, but really needs some cover added and sightlines broken up.

Apr 13, 2009
^ Well pretty much this ^
I rather liked it (although I performed terribly...) until a wrangled sentry covered by sniper fire made it practically impossbile to touch the cp for more than one second.

I had a strange glitch, looking at the water out of blu spawn, I'm not sure what this is, a displacement at the bottom of the water ? The mini-3dskybox showing up through the water ?

kothoilriga20000.jp

gastrop0d

L3: Member
Apr 22, 2009
I felt the scale was too big in numerous areas. The area outside spawn, every around the point... pretty much everywhere, actually. Lots of large flat expanses, like the areas right beside the point; they don't need to be anywhere near that big. Or the corridor under the point. You could scale everything down quite a bit and it would play a lot faster.

Hanz

Ravin' Rabbid
aa
Jan 18, 2009
koth_oilrig_a20000.jpg

Don't clip this area off, it's really dumb because you don't expect it to be playerclipped. I tried to rocket jump over but I got pushed back so it was a waste of health. If you want to playerclip make it more obvious by putting a block on it for now, or just don't playerclip it and put a trigger hurt at the bottom. :)

The maps scale was also annoying to me. When you got to the point you got always killed immediately, even if you weren't at the point yet, but in the big open side area with the health and ammo. If you look at viaduct you see that the area before the point really have a lot of cover and aren't too open so the losing team can sneak their way back to the top. :D Also reduce the ammount of route the winning team can take for pushing the losing team back. For example the winning team could take a catwalk to the higher parts of the losing team which caused the losing team even getting pushed of their higher parts and the winning team could use that as advantage (you also didn't expect suddenly people being on your higher parts, which isn't possible on viaduct, atleast, not by a catwalk that is connected to mid).

Edit: I also saw that weird thing in the water, looked like trainrails to me but I could be completely wrong. :p
Atleast there was something odd in there. :)

Ninjilla

L420: High Member
Sep 13, 2008
I would say add a flanking route around the upper parts (so they arent just under the point), I could not get past the point unless I was a scout or a demoman. And the walk to the point is very very long, taking some walk time out of it will increase the speed and flow of the gameplay. If you can fix those sniper/wrangler spots too, do whatever you can because they were DANGEROUS.

Dustoxx

L6: Sharp Member
Jan 9, 2009
A3 is done!

Changelog:
-Changed control point's geometry and size
-Made routes and point less open (cover)
-Removed clips in front of spawn
-Lowered water
-Changed water from 2fort's to well's
-Added some textures for the look
-Added more observer points

Screenshots:
koth_oilrig_a3_spawn.jpg

koth_oilrig_a3_middle.jpg

koth_oilrig_a3_03.jpg

koth_oilrig_a3_02.jpg

koth_oilrig_a3_01.jpg

DOWNLOAD

Last edited:

Dustoxx

Jan 9, 2009
I think the progress is going pretty good :)

Just a question: Would a concrete or brick wall look good on a oilrig?
paintover1.jpg

(Maybe this crappy paintover would imagine the idea...)

I've always had the idea that they were made from metal. But i can't find any suitable metal walls, so i tought that concrete would look better.

Last edited:

red_flame586

L420: High Member
Apr 19, 2009
Just a question: Would a concrete or brick wall look good on a oilrig?

nah, most oil rigs would be made of metal and scaffolding
example 1 (lots of metal, actually fits the tf2 style quite well if I don't think so myself)
oil_rig.98212623.jpg

example 2(lots of scaffolding/crossbeams/whatever that is)
112007_OIL_RIG_RED_SEA.jpg

stick with metal in in worse case scenario make the textures yourself or get someone else to

plus I don't think anyone in their right mind would build an oil rig out of cinder blocks

Mr.Late

L7: Fancy Member
Nov 27, 2009
There were some nasty sightlines. (Like from after spawn you go to that "higher place" there is ramp nearby you can see really long from there)

It doesn't look like an oil rig : ( . You gotta add more metal and trusses and everything :D

But it was ok map. :p

Hanz

Ravin' Rabbid
aa
Jan 18, 2009
I hope you can make something very nice out of this! Please use the ideas the people above me suggested about the Oil Rig and it could turn out very nicely! :)
Oh and about the gameplay, I didn't notice a lot of bad things, but I guess it was a little open around the middle. If you would look at Viaduct, the middle is not THAT open, so you might want to add a little more cover there (Or you could do it with brushes that would make sense in your Oil Rig theme. :D

Dustoxx

Jan 9, 2009
So, here is some news from this baby!

koth_oilrig_a4_03.jpg

koth_oilrig_a4_spawn.jpg

koth_oilrig_a4_middle.jpg

koth_oilrig_a4_02.jpg

koth_oilrig_a4_01.jpg

I just wanted to have a little update on this map, since I didn't release anything the last 2 months... So yeah, alpha 4 is here. I'm going to plan a playtest as soon as possible to get back on track :D

Wilson

Boomer by Sleep
aa
May 4, 2010
It played really well during gameday, if anything, you should have railings on the deathpits front of spawn.

When it comes to detailing, i quote Sergis: "Where is the big fucking drill?"

Sergis

L666: ])oo]v[
aa
Jul 22, 2009
example 1 (lots of metal, actually fits the tf2 style quite well if I don't think so myself)
oil_rig.98212623.jpg

is that a real life devtexture on that thing?

It played really well during gameday, if anything, you should have railings on the deathpits front of spawn.

When it comes to detailing, i quote Sergis: "Where is the big fucking drill?"

lmao :D i feel so important now that im being quoted like this

also, ocean should look like ocean when you fall into it. what we have now is a good step forward from the last version i played where suicidee would just break their legs on the solid water, but still this didn't look like ocean underwater to me. maybe you could just fog everything there or something

as for gameplay, there were no major problems and i never notice minor ones :D so its ok imo

Aug 10, 2009
On a slight sidenote, I'm one of the impression that an oilrig could play very well on a more realistic shooter like CoD or Bad Company, but I'm glad you've made it work with TF2 :)

I guess what I mean by that is I feel the dense detail, atmospheric lighting, and tight layout that wraps around itself serves itself much better to less sprawling, more close-quarters oriented games.