1. Hey there Guest,

The game servers have moved to semi-dedicated hardware and IPs have changed. Please see front page server widget for up-to-date game server information.

KotH ohana

Discussion in 'Map Factory' started by Uncuepa, Oct 25, 2014.

1. Uncuepa

aa Uncuepa

Positive Ratings:
    Welcome to the worst map of all time!

Last edited: Jul 19, 2015
  2. Bunbun

aa Bunbun Gay sex slave

Positive Ratings:
    Ahh... Hl2 textures!

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Ynders

aa Ynders absolutely gormful

Positive Ratings:
    It doesn't look too bad for a first map overall, but I do have a few criticisms. At the moment it seems to be overscaled(geometry too large for good gameplay flow). Judging by the size of the explosion in your 2nd screenshot, that room alone is huge. And not to mention, the map is pretty flat in areas(screenshots 2 and 3), which tends to make gameplay less fun and exiting. But, like I said, it isn't bad for a first map, just keep working!

4. MegapiemanPHD

aa MegapiemanPHD Doctorate in Deliciousness

Positive Ratings:
  5. Uncuepa

aa Uncuepa

Positive Ratings:

Thanks for the feedback, I've said I wanted to work on those areas. Right after I uploaded this I went and added a divider in the second screenshot room that I'm really excited about, along with some more exits from spawn. The divider has a raised platform around it, and along a corridor I was not happy with I added a raised area for nests, and has ammo and health in both.

Only issue with releasing the new versions is the high compliation time, even in this state. I'm upgrading my pc soon so should be better soon.

6. Uncuepa

aa Uncuepa

Positive Ratings:
    Sure does! I have a secret about this map and its name, but I'll release that in Beta.. I'm going to be doing large updates, I have so many ideas for vents, boardwalks, climbable pile of crates. Bookmark this shit, it's gonna get big.

7. Ynders

aa Ynders absolutely gormful

Positive Ratings:
    To decrease compile time, you need to tie all of your brushes that aren't major level geometry(like supports and beams and such) to func_detail by pressing ctrl+t. Also, be sure to texture all brush faces that players don't see to the texture tools/toolsnodraw. Read this for more.

8. ibex

aa ibex

Positive Ratings:
    If they are not using ABS's resource pack, crtl+t will create whatever default entity hammer chooses. So when the properties window does appear (by pressing crtl+t), you'll want to change the "Class:" In the upper left hand corner to "func_detail" (it's a little drop down menu, but you can just type func_detail in). But, yes func_detailng will drastically decrease your compile times

9. MegapiemanPHD

aa MegapiemanPHD Doctorate in Deliciousness

Positive Ratings:
    Be sure to compile on fast if your not. It complies maps quickly for testing and you can do a full compile when you release the map in RC. Fast mode can sometimes cause problems though but usually only if you are using water.

10. Dain

Dain L3: Member

Positive Ratings:
    I think the default entity is always func_detail, idk what ABS' pack has to do with it.

11. Freyja

aa Freyja ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Positive Ratings:
    I wouldn't really reccomend ever releasing a map, even an alpha using fast vis. Fast rad is fine, but fast vis skips all but the very most basic vis calculations. You're basically making your entire map, with all it's players, hats, projectiles and buildings render on everyone's crappy PC at the same time. Even in alpha, that's a signifiant perfomance hit.

12. Crash

aa Crash func_nerd

Positive Ratings:
    Alpha maps I compile everything on normal. Beta and RC maps I start using all the fancy lighting and staticproppolys and all that. You want to know how your optimization is doing as early as possible.

13. A Boojum Snark

aa A Boojum Snark Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado

Positive Ratings:
    The default is func_detail, because it is the most used. I do not change that.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  14. Uncuepa

aa Uncuepa

Positive Ratings:
    New version is live! Lots of changes, so feedback is requested and appreciated!

15. HQDefault

aa HQDefault ...what

Positive Ratings:
    While I think your mid is creative and interesting, I think that each team's base has overstayed their welcome. By looking at the screenshots, they're huge and complex, and given the fact the you used a nucleus-like shape, that's not a good thing. I think the base should just be smaller overall.

Also, your map has creekwood sightlines.

16. Dr. Sasha

Dr. Sasha L4: Comfortable Member

Positive Ratings:
    When I first read the map name I thought it read "Obama"

17. Zed

aa Zed Certified Most Crunk™

Positive Ratings:
    Thanks, Ohana.