Offshore

Jack Riguel

L10: Glamorous Member
Jul 19, 2009
Originally this was intended for the 4th AMC contest, however due to time constraints I was unable to keep up the work on it. However, compared to the other maps I've worked on since arena_cargo, I'm still the most excited about this one's design.

I'm tossing about the idea of changing this map's game mode, however I feel that CTF is a good place to keep it for the time being as it's design will hopefully undergo a good deal of change.

Enjoy! Let me know of your thoughts, good or bad!

EDIT: Game mode change. Hurrah.

Special Thanks to:
A Boojum Snark - Prefabs
Artesia -Multi Coloured Textures and Dev Template
Youme -Red/Blu Textures
Acegikmo - Environment Gallery

Last edited:

Vincent

&#128296 Grandmaster Lizard Wizard Jedi &#128296
aa
Sep 5, 2009
Ran around the map a little, the spawn rooms are way way to dark. And it's not just the spawns, the whole map is pretty dark around the inside areas.

The 3D skybox is a bit messed up but I'm sure you noticed.

The death pit right before the intel seemed a little but un needed.

The layout is pretty solid though, looking pretty nice so far.

Omnomnick

L6: Sharp Member
Aug 16, 2009
I notice that circle cliff area with the health on is really open. Could potentially be too dangerous for all classes, if a Pyro could blow people off there no problem. You should put a fence or some cover over a small section of the cliff to make it a bit harder.

Aug 10, 2009
Pic 3 - got some pretty dark lighting and that higher level is pretty high up.
Pic 4 - while fitting, I don't think that health will come into much use unless you want people to gravitate towards there.
Pic 5 - the health/ammo placement looks awkward. It looks like it forces players to run first to it, then return to the ramp.

Light commentary of course :D
Need to test it.

Jack Riguel

Jul 19, 2009
Thanks for some of the feedback. I'm looking into turning this to a push map, however I need more testing to see how the layout works and see if it's even feasible.

Biggest thing I've heard sofar (from here and from other friends) is the center area being too deadly. I feel as if a good deal of that is coming from the renewed interest in air-blasting from the pyro, however since Valve does seem to continue adding items that push the player around I'll see into making the lower area better protected will still having the upper deck be more precarious. Again, testing is needed.

nik

L12: Fabulous Member
Aug 14, 2009
I think you already got most of my feedback, but I'll list some of it here so you have a written copy.

• There seems to be a lack of focus on a middle fighting area, and the part that should be it seems to be very small
  • You need to open up the middle, perhaps take away parts of the bases so the gameplay is more designed around the middle fighting
  • Try to expose the lower route to the above area, so there's a tradeoff
  • Remember to show players where the intel has to go! (hazard stripes)
  • Put a wall/barrier on the left hand side of the bridge coming out of the steps going down to the lower path

J4CK8

L11: Posh Member
Mar 4, 2009
What nik. said, but also the intel area felt a little dark. The underground route feels too easy to cap the flag though as you can pretty much bypass the enemy completly if they control the mid.

gastrop0d

L3: Member
Apr 22, 2009
I do like the setting and feel of the map, but the bases needs to be scaled down and the middle needs to be expanded and have some flanks added. There's no real speed available for "roaming" players that like to quickly flank enemies, such as spies and pyros.

Also I don't know if there were many places for snipers in the map.

Wilson

Boomer by Sleep
aa
May 4, 2010
Spawn rooms are really dark and you should make the second exit from spawn more obvious.

Also spawn camping was huge issue during gameday.

Jack Riguel

Jul 19, 2009
UPDATE!
12804320580ctf_offshore_a40011.jpg

Thanks for the advice guys, I'd say the test was a success purely because of the great feedback I got. I've made some pretty major changes and I'll see about getting a test in ASAP.

Biggest complaint seemed to be the central area and the mid-intel room. I've brought the intel in a bit to lessen the size of the base and nearly doubled the size of the exterior, as well as forced players who take the lower path to show their heads a bit. My main priority was to design the map so a single sentry could not cause a standstill, which is where the lower path came into play. Hopefully these changes wont' affect that too much.

Last edited:

Jack Riguel

Jul 19, 2009
hl2_2011-02-22_00-38-00-60.jpg

Version a6a!
Now CP! Now less server crashy!

a6a:
Major Changes
  • No Longer CTF, now 3cp push!
  • Changed central area to accommodate control point.
  • Changed health/ammo packs to small in old flag room (new final control point)

Spawn Changes
  • Added a one-way window to spawn overlooking each team's final control point.

Cosmetic Changes
  • Adjusted directional signs

Jack Riguel

Jul 19, 2009
Talk about a bump from the dead...

The red respawn area (final screenshot) looks really cramped. and that it only goes to one area.

Actually thanks for pointing that out, I thought I removed that screenshot (its a bit old). If you load up the map though you'll see there was a few changes (that actually make it slightly more cramped), however there is also 2 side routes that completely bypass the area, along with another spawn farther in.

EDIT: For those of you at the test Tuesday night I may have... accidently uploaded the wrong map/unplayable version. Whoops.

Last edited: